GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mache // corn salad (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/84445-mache-corn-salad.html)

Ross 02-10-2004 12:45 AM

mache // corn salad

I just cant get these buggers to come up.

OK, the past couple of weeks I have planted them in the ground twice
and once in a big pot which I covered with plastic in the day and watered
every day.
Only 3 or 4 came up and they were the ones in the pot.
In Chicago area.
What is the deal with these guys?
fresh seeds just ordered.
I have tried in previous years too.
I thought they were a good cover crop????

Ross

simy1 02-10-2004 09:29 PM

Ross wrote in message ...
I just cant get these buggers to come up.

OK, the past couple of weeks I have planted them in the ground twice
and once in a big pot which I covered with plastic in the day and watered
every day.

they wait for cooler temperatures to come up, possibly after first
frost and after a good rain. so take out the plastic which makes it
too hot for them. once established, they will come up in that spot
over and over again. I last planted mache four years ago, and I eat it
every spring.