Old 06-10-2004, 02:35 PM
tom hooper

Default Req info: Harvesting chive seeds

My garlic chives have put up flowers and not they are turning to seed
heads. How do I harvest them so I can replant? What do they look like
when they are mature and ready? Will they just fall off, or do they pop
and blow away? I've never done chives before. Thanks.
twh

Old 06-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Gary Woods

tom hooper wrote:

My garlic chives have put up flowers and not they are turning to seed
heads. How do I harvest them so I can replant?

Depending on climate, the garlic chives should come back anyway... you can
collect the dry seed heads and put in a paper bag; when they're good and
dry, crumble with your hands and you should see a bunch of black seeds in
the bottom, just like onion seeds but smaller.
Pour between a couple of containers on a breezy day, or just mix with water
and float off the chaff, sort of like panning for gold, then spread out in
a big sieve to dry immediately, so they don't think of sprouting. I do
this successfully for leek seeds.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Steve Calvin

Gary Woods wrote:

tom hooper wrote:

My garlic chives have put up flowers and not they are turning to seed
heads. How do I harvest them so I can replant?

Depending on climate, the garlic chives should come back anyway... you can

That's been my experience. I put in some chives about 6 years ago and
every year I get a nice crop for use all summer and fall.

--
Steve

Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?

info req: Torro John Dhom Bonsai 7 23-08-2005 01:21 AM
req. Info Elaeocarpus Ganitrus [email protected] Plant Science 2 06-12-2004 11:30 AM
REQ Container Tomato Info for 2005 Granny Smith Edible Gardening 3 28-08-2004 08:13 PM
REQ info on mossy, shaded lawn klein Hansen Gardening 1 11-05-2003 06:56 AM
Harvesting Chive Seeds & Good Book on Herb Gardening Bunny McElwee Edible Gardening 0 16-04-2003 07:08 PM