GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What to do with tons of sweet green peppers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/85050-what-do-tons-sweet-green-peppers.html)

Toonartist 16-10-2004 04:15 AM

What to do with tons of sweet green peppers

Hey all,

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers. Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I would assume they don't freeze well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

--
Don't forget to check out my cartoon, Virtual Humor!
http://www.kevinduffy.net/vh.htm

Craig Watts 16-10-2004 04:26 AM

I would assume they don't freeze well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Are you talking about Bell Peppers? Bell Peppers freeze quite well.
Cut the cap off, core them out and removed the seeds. Then freeze them
whole.

Great for winter stir frys and sausage dogs.

zxcvbob 16-10-2004 04:27 AM

Toonartist wrote:
Hey all,

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers. Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I would assume they don't freeze well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Go over to rec.food.preserving, and ask for George.

(They do freeze OK, but I'm out of freezer space so I chopped, blanched,
and dried most of my end-o-the-season green peppers this year)

Best regards,
Bob

Craig Watts 16-10-2004 04:35 AM

(They do freeze OK, but I'm out of freezer space so I chopped, blanched,
and dried most of my end-o-the-season green peppers this year)

Dried as in dehydrate?

Craig Watts 16-10-2004 04:35 AM

zxcvbob 16-10-2004 04:41 AM

Craig Watts wrote:

(They do freeze OK, but I'm out of freezer space so I chopped, blanched,
and dried most of my end-o-the-season green peppers this year)

Dried as in dehydrate?

Yes. And it's amazing how much the shrink.

Bob

EV 16-10-2004 10:36 AM

Toonartist wrote:

Hey all,

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers. Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I would assume they don't freeze well. Any suggestions?

I wash them, cut them into slices, and freeze them on trays. Then I transfer
them to freezer bags. You can pack many into a small space this way. I mostly
use them in cooking.

If you also have green tomatoes, you can make a delicious green tomato and
sweet pepper relish.

EV

Thanks very much in advance.

Beecrofter 16-10-2004 04:21 PM

"Toonartist" wrote in message ...
Hey all,

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers. Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I would assume they don't freeze well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Got a food bank/soup kitchen?

Pam - gardengal 16-10-2004 04:24 PM

"Toonartist" wrote in message
Hey all,

I just harvested all my peppers because the weather is turning, but every
year I end up with a couple grocery bags full of sweet green peppers.

Anyone
have a good recipe for all of them. And I'm not looking for stuffed pepper
recipes, but a way to process all those peppers into something good that I
will be able to enjoy in the coming months.

I would assume they don't freeze well.

Green pepper jelly - great with a little cream cheese on a cracker and an
excellent holiday gift item.

http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALRecipes.asp?R=70

Only one of hundreds of recipes available through a Google search.

pam - gardengal