Old 20-10-2004, 10:00 PM
simy1

"shazzbat" wrote in message ...

And incidentally, who has no slugs?

In the dry part of my yard there are few slugs and many snakes, which
means, after a while, no slugs. In the wetter part of my yard the
slugs are exterminated by sluggo. If you let chickens into the garden
for two weeks, there will be no slugs left.

Steve

Old 21-10-2004, 01:50 PM
shazzbat

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:14:40 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:
"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message
On 19 Oct 2004 17:25:33 -0700, (simy1) wrote:

well, if you have borers, plenty of space, and no slugs, your vine
will root more readily, be healthier and produce more if you leave it
down. In my case, down is better. You can also feed 150 of your
closest friends with the harvest.

Growing it on the ground will reduce the problem with borers?
For real?

Educate me if you will, what are these borers? Are they something we in

UK
know by a different name?

Squash vine borers
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2153.html

Thanks for that. I just checked one of my books and it doesn't mention them,
so I presume it's not a UK pest.

I think they're best left in Ohio.

Steve

Steve

Old 22-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Jim Carlock

What about lady bugs, lizards, white (eggs?) stuff on the
bottom of leaves, black (eggs?) stuff on the bottom of
leaves. There are a thousand lizards happily feeding on
all sorts of things out there. I think I've got a lizard farm.

There are a good number of lady bugs out there (I think
I've heard that there are lady bugs and something that
looks like lady bugs). There are a few wasps buzzing
around still. I'm in Tampa, Florida.

The cucumber vines seem to be doing quite well. The
leaves seem to die after a couple months, and the vine
continues to grow with fresh new leaves blooming at
the far end of the vine.

I noticed one cucumber a couple months ago, was
the first cucumber I grew, that developed a hole in
the bottom of the cucumber. I pulled it off the vine at
that time as I wasn't sure when to pull it off. I cut it
open and didn't see any bugs inside... would that be
a borer that dug about 1 to 2 inches into it, a nice
tunnel?

And I'm curious if anyone knows anything about lady
bugs (and the bug that's not a "lady" bug)?

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

Old 23-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Jim Carlock said:

I noticed one cucumber a couple months ago, was
the first cucumber I grew, that developed a hole in
the bottom of the cucumber. I pulled it off the vine at
that time as I wasn't sure when to pull it off. I cut it
open and didn't see any bugs inside... would that be
a borer that dug about 1 to 2 inches into it, a nice
tunnel?

A borer or pickleworm would have moved right in and
made itself at home. How wide was the tunnel? If it
was quite narrow, perhaps a wireworm (click beetle
larva) did some exploring. If it was wider, maybe a
slug spent some time working its way in before moving
on.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 23-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Jim Carlock

Width was less than .5 cm, or in inches about 1/8" wide.
The cuke was a foot or two off the ground, so not sure
how a slug could have gotten to it, but I imagine that's
possible. There are some small shelled snails outside but
those seem to remain on the ground sticking to the
bottoms of dead leaves and their shells are much bigger
than the hole.

Looking through the wireworm picks, there are definitely
some flying bugs out there that look similar. There are flying
roaches, a few ladybugs(?), lizards all over the place (they
love to eat all types of bugs). There are what appear to be
some kind of bug eggs on the bottom of the leaves.

What do ladybugs eat? They seem to roam the tops or
bottoms of the leaves. I'm wondering if that white egg
looking stuff are ladybug eggs. The leaves are being eaten
but nothing too devastating.

Old 23-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:36:31 GMT, "Jim Carlock"
wrote:

Looking through the wireworm picks, there are definitely
some flying bugs out there that look similar. There are flying
roaches, a few ladybugs(?), lizards all over the place (they
love to eat all types of bugs).

I love my lizards! Mine are all the anoles lizards, and it's
so nice to sit on the front porch and watch them slipping
through the flowers, or sending lizard signals to their
compatriots.

There are what appear to be
some kind of bug eggs on the bottom of the leaves.

What do ladybugs eat?

Aphids and other small insects.

They seem to roam the tops or
bottoms of the leaves. I'm wondering if that white egg
looking stuff are ladybug eggs. The leaves are being eaten
but nothing too devastating.

http://www.photojunkie.ca/archives/2...dybug_eggs.php

http://www.ladybuglady.com/

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2002.html

Here are a few sites with ladybug pictures and info.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"

Old 24-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Jim Carlock said:

Width was less than .5 cm, or in inches about 1/8" wide.
The cuke was a foot or two off the ground, so not sure
how a slug could have gotten to it, but I imagine that's
possible. There are some small shelled snails outside but
those seem to remain on the ground sticking to the
bottoms of dead leaves and their shells are much bigger
than the hole.

That far off the ground it was maybe a slug or snail. They may
spend the day sheltering under leaves, but they come out at night.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 26-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Jim Carlock

Thanks for the pics!

I witnessed alot of critters crawling today. They are ladybug
larva! Asian ladybugs! I found a caterpillar on one of the
leafs. And there are a lot of very small bugs not quite the
size of the ladybug larva, about 1/20th in size. And I
used to spritz the leaves with water to wash the eggs
off thinking they'd be detrimental.

One of the larva I saw looked just like the Asian ladybug
larva:
http://www.ladybuglady.com/harmonialarva.JPG

The larva was a bit bigger than I thought it would be. There
are some smaller things all over the bottoms of a couple
leaves. The big one I viewed lengthed about a 1/4" (7mm to
9mm). Alot of the smaller bugs waylayed themselves
in at 1/8" (3mm). They didn't have the orange colors on
them. So I'm not sure what these are as of yet. They're
quite a few on one of the leaves.

Some of the eggs are yellow like viewed at the ladybug
site, some look like whiteflies. I had a problem with those
over the summer. They practically destroyed a couple
cucumber vines as well as tomato plants and maybe one
other thing I planted that I didn't have any success with.

The egg link Penelope posted:
http://www.photojunkie.ca/archives/2...dybug_eggs.php

As far as lizards go, the ones I normally see I think are an
anoles variety...
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images...s/liza3734.jpg

Thanks Pat and Penelope!

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

"Penelope Periwinkle" indicated:
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:36:31 GMT, "Jim Carlock" expressed: