Old 19-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Default Cuscumbers - Up Or Down?

Hi, Everybody,

Springtime here, and I just put in some cucumber
seedlings into 10-litre (2 and a half gal) buckets.
Any suggestions on leaving them to wander on the
surface, or supporting them?

One stake in the centre (tied with string), or three
stakes around the edge, in a tripod form, with strings
going between?

Thanks in advance!

--
Guide To DIY Living
http://www.self-reliance.co.nz
Old 19-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Antipodean Bucket Farmer said:

Hi, Everybody,

Springtime here, and I just put in some cucumber
seedlings into 10-litre (2 and a half gal) buckets.
Any suggestions on leaving them to wander on the
surface, or supporting them?

One stake in the centre (tied with string), or three
stakes around the edge, in a tripod form, with strings
going between?

I first grew cucumbers up the antenna mast when I was a kid.
(Pre-cable, small town Indiana we needed a good sized tower
to pull in television stations.)

Vertical growing is great. The tripod with strings sounds like
the better idea.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 19-10-2004, 02:28 PM
shazzbat

"Antipodean Bucket Farmer" wrote in message
Hi, Everybody,

Springtime here, and I just put in some cucumber
seedlings into 10-litre (2 and a half gal) buckets.
Any suggestions on leaving them to wander on the
surface, or supporting them?

One stake in the centre (tied with string), or three
stakes around the edge, in a tripod form, with strings
going between?

Thanks in advance!

Up is best. Tie or train to canes/mesh/whatever. If allowed to sprawl all
over the ground the plant will take up way too much space, the cucumbers
will be more accessible to slugs etc, and the cucumbers will have yellow
areas where the sun hasn't got to them.

Don't ask how I know :-))

Steve

Old 20-10-2004, 06:39 AM
omi

"Antipodean Bucket Farmer" wrote in message
Hi, Everybody,

Springtime here, and I just put in some cucumber
seedlings into 10-litre (2 and a half gal) buckets.
Any suggestions on leaving them to wander on the
surface, or supporting them?

One stake in the centre (tied with string), or three
stakes around the edge, in a tripod form, with strings
going between?

Thanks in advance!

In our AZ desert location, the hot winds and relentless sun tend to dry out
the vines so letting them run free is best. But you need to put a board or
some such thing under the cukes to keep them off the ground. Olin