Old 27-10-2004, 03:45 AM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Default Pet-Safe Slug Products

Hi Everybody,

Today, I was in a store, reading a package of slug-
killing product, which warned of the dangers for pets.

The idea was that the product had something in it that
made it taste bitter, to deter them, but that some
persistent pets will still eat it.

There are a couple of neighbors' cats here, so I want
to make sure that my anti-slug measures are safe for
them.

I have heard )that copper wire is good (I read it on
the Inernet, so it "must" be true...) So I am thinking
of putting a loose spiral of that wire around the base
of my capsicums, with a backup of pet-friendly slug-
killer around the edge of the containers.

I am not sure if "Slugg-o" is available here. What
Active Ingredient do I need to protect the cats?

Thanks...

--
Guide To DIY Living
http://www.self-reliance.co.nz
Old 27-10-2004, 04:14 AM
Katra

In article ,
Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

Hi Everybody,

Today, I was in a store, reading a package of slug-
killing product, which warned of the dangers for pets.

The idea was that the product had something in it that
made it taste bitter, to deter them, but that some
persistent pets will still eat it.

There are a couple of neighbors' cats here, so I want
to make sure that my anti-slug measures are safe for
them.

I have heard )that copper wire is good (I read it on
the Inernet, so it "must" be true...) So I am thinking
of putting a loose spiral of that wire around the base
of my capsicums, with a backup of pet-friendly slug-
killer around the edge of the containers.

I am not sure if "Slugg-o" is available here. What
Active Ingredient do I need to protect the cats?

Thanks...

Dark Ale beer... :-)
We found that cheap dark ale worked better than cheap beer.
We found that pans of them would collect over a dozen slugs per night
until we wiped out most of the population, now it's slowed down a bit.

It is totally 100% pet safe, and won't attract or kill other insects
except accidently.

It works!

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply
arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather

Old 27-10-2004, 04:37 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:14:39 -0500, Katra
wrote:

Dark Ale beer... :-)
We found that cheap dark ale worked better than cheap beer.

It's the yeast in the beer, so putting some yeast in water works
well, too.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Old 27-10-2004, 06:48 AM
Katra

wrote:

Dark Ale beer... :-)
We found that cheap dark ale worked better than cheap beer.

It's the yeast in the beer, so putting some yeast in water works
well, too.

Penelope

Oh! Cool!
That might be cheaper too. :-)

Will try it and report, thanks!!!

K.
Old 27-10-2004, 04:00 PM
SugarChile

"Antipodean Bucket Farmer" wrote in message

I am not sure if "Slugg-o" is available here. What
Active Ingredient do I need to protect the cats?

Sluggo is available on online:

http://www.pestproducts.com/sluggo.htm

No affiliation, but I bought from them and was happy. A google search will
turn up other retailers.

Don't balk at the price. A little goes a long way--I've used the same
container of it for two summers and still have some left. To me it is a lot
simpler than fussing around with saucers of beer.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 27-10-2004, 10:22 PM
simy1

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote in message . ..
Hi Everybody,

Today, I was in a store, reading a package of slug-
killing product, which warned of the dangers for pets.

The idea was that the product had something in it that
made it taste bitter, to deter them, but that some
persistent pets will still eat it.

There are a couple of neighbors' cats here, so I want
to make sure that my anti-slug measures are safe for
them.

will the cats eat chickens? the chickens are murder on the slugs, and
quite organic.

I have heard )that copper wire is good (I read it on
the Inernet, so it "must" be true...) So I am thinking
of putting a loose spiral of that wire around the base
of my capsicums, with a backup of pet-friendly slug-
killer around the edge of the containers.

I am not sure if "Slugg-o" is available here. What
Active Ingredient do I need to protect the cats?

Thanks...

iron phosphate. I use nothing but sluggo. beer just does not work as
well. once you have few slugs, 1-2 ounces every 100 sqft will pretty
much control them, so it lasts a long time.

Old 13-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Dwayne

Diatomatious Earth. It is a white powder product made of ground up
something from the ocean. It cuts the slugs under bellies up when they
crawl across it, and yet can be used to feed pets to de-worm them.

The only problem is that it has to be reapplied after each watering or rain.

Dwayne