Old 26-10-2004, 06:40 AM
sherwindu

Default Black Currant Problem

My neighbor has just planted a row of black currants, close to
my south property line. While trying to find some advice for him on
growing
them, I came across several references that state this plant can cause
white pine
blister rust and for that reason, it is not heavily planted in gardens.
I have a white
pine tree at the northeast corner of my house. Should I be concerned
about potential
problems? If there are any, does anyone have a suggestion on how to
minimize the
problem? I see there are some disease resistant varieties of black
currant, but
since he got these plants from a friend who can't identify them, it's
very risky.
I live in the Chicago area.

Sherwin D.