GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Any help with fig trees? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/86053-any-help-fig-trees.html)

John Pecchillo 05-11-2004 06:20 PM

Any help with fig trees?

Hi all.....new here and am enjoying it so far.

I need some help with my fig trees. Grandpa is long gone and I need to get
these babies wrapped up for the winter. I'm tired of hoping that they're not
dead every spring. It would be nice to get some figs for a change, as the
winter has been killing off the producing branches.

I have 2 plants......one is old and one is 2 years new. I just want to know
the "proper" procedure for wrapping them. All I can remember from my
childhood days is tar paper and a paint bucket on top. I never stopped to
ask or watch what else occurred while I was not looking.

I'm on Long Island, NY....... I guess zone 6 on some maps. I'm near dead
center of the island, not near either shore.

John P.

Andrew Ward 05-11-2004 07:59 PM

I'm in zone 5 (Southern Ontario), and my family buries the fig trees for the
winter. The oldest are probably about 20 to 25 years old (maybe more). The
process is as follows:
- use twine/rope to gather branches together (as tight as possible without
damaging the tree)
- dig a trench from the root ball long enough to accomodate the height of
the tree
- dig around the root ball (using some water from the hose, if necessary) to
loosen the ball from surrounding soil
- tip tree into the trench
- cover with burlap/tarp/plastic then backfill soil from trench, adding
leaves and other yard waste for insulation.

I was always warned that you needed a good seal to prevent rodents from
seeking refuge and nibbling away at your tree, but in a half dozen years,
I've seen no evidence of any such damage.

Andrew