GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cutting back raspberry bushes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/86064-cutting-back-raspberry-bushes.html)

Jo M 06-11-2004 06:11 AM

Cutting back raspberry bushes

When should I cut back my raspberry bushes, now or in the spring? I live in
Zone 5.

Jo

Pat Kiewicz 06-11-2004 10:52 AM

Jo M said:

When should I cut back my raspberry bushes, now or in the spring? I live in
Zone 5.

I usually wait until spring. I could remove all the old canes which fruited
in the summer right now but I'd rather wait until spring to thin the new canes
so I can see which ones are strongest and healthiest, and so I leave the old
canes until spring to do it all at once.

If you don't want a summer crop from a fall bearing variety (like Heritage or
Polana) you can mow them all down any time after the foliage has turned
color and fallen.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Ben Sharvy 13-11-2004 08:18 PM

Canes that fruited should be pruned at the end of each season, leaving
one-year old canes that will fruit most vigorously next season.