Old 07-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Katra

Default Winter container gardens?

What would be the ideal pot size for a Cauliflower?
I've never grown them before! The brocolli are in a raised garden bed
and are getting pretty big, but the Cauliflower are still babies.

Do they get as big as brocolli???

Thanks!
K.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Katra said:

What would be the ideal pot size for a Cauliflower?
I've never grown them before! The brocolli are in a raised garden bed
and are getting pretty big, but the Cauliflower are still babies.

Do they get as big as brocolli???

I haven't grown cauliflower in a long while, but I remember them being much
more substantial plants than broccoli. Big, strapping leaves. Very full and stout.
I hazzard a guess that they'd be happiest in a container that measured several
gallons, at least (not having ever grown either them or broccoli in a container).

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 10-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

In article KatraMungBean-
,
says...
In article ,
Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

In article KatraMungBean-
,
says...
What would be the ideal pot size for a Cauliflower?
I've never grown them before! The brocolli are in a raised garden bed
and are getting pretty big, but the Cauliflower are still babies.

Do they get as big as brocolli???

I have serious space shortage, so I tend to compromise
and crowd a bit.

With 10-litre (2.5 gal) buckets, I put two cauliflower
or broccoli in each. I tried three to a bucket last
season, but that very crowded and seemed to stunt their
growth. With more space, I would be inclined to just
put one plant per bucket.

Last season's cauliflower didn't get as big as some of
the broccoli, but with good spacing, the cauliflower
heads can spread out a lot horizontally, compared to
the broccoli plants going mostly upward.

So I have a ton of 1 gallon buckets, and the space to put them in.
D'you think that, if the soil level is high enough, a 1 gallon would
work???

Like I said, I only have limited experience. But in
your situation, I would go ahead and try that.

The thing I noticed from last season was (especially
with broccoli) after harvesting and emptying the
buckets. Three to a 10-litre-bucket had very densely
packed roots in the soil. So they were really
competing with each other. But maybe they would be OK
with your suggestion, if they are by themselves.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Old 10-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Katra

[...]

Cool. :-)
Will report on the results.

Right now they were just transplanted from 1" pots into 4" pots and are
looking good, so when they get a little size I'll move them again. I
have 8 cauliflower plants.

The brocollis are in the large 6' by 3' deep planter and are getting
quite tall! My Escargot snails are having a field day with the leaves I
break off for them. lol

The thing I noticed from last season was (especially
with broccoli) after harvesting and emptying the
buckets. Three to a 10-litre-bucket had very densely
packed roots in the soil. So they were really
competing with each other. But maybe they would be OK
with your suggestion, if they are by themselves.

Thanks for answering.... :-) I appreciate it.

Have you ever tried container tomatoes?
I bought three of them and put them into 3 gallon pots with a cage.
They are in one of the portable greenhouses and this will be my first
try at winter hothouse tomatoes.

K.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Katra

In article ,
Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

In article KatraMungBean-
,
says...

Have you ever tried container tomatoes?
I bought three of them and put them into 3 gallon pots with a cage.
They are in one of the portable greenhouses and this will be my first
try at winter hothouse tomatoes.

I am in the southern hemisphere, so I am in springtime
now.

Last season I did tomatoes in 20-litre (5-gal) buckets,
which seems like a good size. I used stakes in a
tripod, tied at the top, with more string to keep the
tomato vine held in and supported.

Results were low because of some unusually severe late
summer storms.

Now I have some more (only space for four), and have a
central stake for support, and will put a tripod of
stakes around that soon. I just bought some 1.8 metre
bamboo stakes which seem a good length.

Cool... :-)
I have 1 meter "cages" which are kinda like a tripod of heavy wire
with rings spaced at roughly 100cm intervals so there are 3 rings to tie
them to.

During spring and summer, they are just in the ground against a 2 meter
wire fence that they get tied to for supports as needed.

Three gallon pots might work. My understanding of
winter issues is that you need to add lots of
artificial light and some heat. That means $$$.

Light won't be much of an issue as they are in a greenhouse in full sun.
I will have to run a light at night for heat when it freezes so that
will extend their daylight hours for blooming. Might be interesting. :-)

I guess if the daylight intervals are not long enough, they may not
bloom? Fluorescent fixtures would lower the energy cost considerably but
I would have to spend the money on timers.

I think I won't worry about that this time, (there are only 3 plants and
this is an experiment) and see what happens with the longer nights. I've
noted that, as a general rule, tomatoes are not that picky about
daylight length?

This past winter, I just did leafy stuff outside -
lettuce, spinach, cabbage.

Same here. My winter outdoor garden is the brocolli, lettuce, swiss
chard, mustard, kale and cabbage. It's still a raised garden bed and I'm
considering ordering a cold frame for it, just to protect stuff when
there is a freeze warning.

I am in Texas so we don't get a LOT of hard freezes in the winter this
far south so it's not much of an issue.

However, with the whole messed up weather pattern thing, we are getting
very cold weather early! It's not normally quite this cold this early,
(it's been in the 40's F.) but there have been no frosts yet... I'm
wondering if we will have a colder winter than normal this year. That's
fine with me! It'll freeze the damned mosquitos! lol

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...