Old 22-11-2004, 02:42 AM
bill

Default Deer Gate is a cattle gate?

I'm making a deer fence and hope to avoid the hassle of making and using
gates. How about a cattle gate? I would think a homemade one could be done
like a deck, but with the treated 2x4s on edge with 1.25" gaps inbetween (I
would like 1.5", but there may be a safety issue with larger gaps). My
thought is to make it simple 8' x 8' with the 2x4s mounted on an 8' x 8' set
of 2x4s spaced at 3" so I could drive my truck on it if needed.

Thanks for the comments!

Bill

Old 22-11-2004, 03:38 AM
Blues Ma

bill wrote:

I'm making a deer fence and hope to avoid the hassle of making and using
gates. How about a cattle gate? I would think a homemade one could be done
like a deck, but with the treated 2x4s on edge with 1.25" gaps inbetween (I
would like 1.5", but there may be a safety issue with larger gaps). My
thought is to make it simple 8' x 8' with the 2x4s mounted on an 8' x 8' set
of 2x4s spaced at 3" so I could drive my truck on it if needed.

Thanks for the comments!

Bill

Traditional cattle guards use metal pipe or large diameter rods.
The roundness is part of what makes animals uneasy in crossing.
Do you think 2x4s* -* even stood on the narrow end will hold your truck ?
BTW
Deer can easily jump eight lateral feet -* if they really want to get somewhere.

Dorothy
*
*

Old 22-11-2004, 03:41 AM
Blues Ma

bill wrote:

I'm making a deer fence and hope to avoid the hassle of making and using
gates. How about a cattle gate? I would think a homemade one could be done
like a deck, but with the treated 2x4s on edge with 1.25" gaps inbetween (I
would like 1.5", but there may be a safety issue with larger gaps). My
thought is to make it simple 8' x 8' with the 2x4s mounted on an 8' x 8' set
of 2x4s spaced at 3" so I could drive my truck on it if needed.

Thanks for the comments!

Bill

http://www.freybrothersinc.com/FREYHTML/CatlGrd1.html
*
*
*

Old 22-11-2004, 07:24 AM
JMartin

"bill" nospam@nospam wrote in message
I'm making a deer fence and hope to avoid the hassle of making and using
gates. How about a cattle gate? I would think a homemade one could be done
like a deck, but with the treated 2x4s on edge with 1.25" gaps inbetween

(I
would like 1.5", but there may be a safety issue with larger gaps). My
thought is to make it simple 8' x 8' with the 2x4s mounted on an 8' x 8'

set
of 2x4s spaced at 3" so I could drive my truck on it if needed.

Thanks for the comments!

Won't stop deer. You need bigger spaces to stop cattle for that matter.

Jena

Bill