Old 27-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Dennis Edward

Default Stuff they never tell you

I'm a relative newbie at gardening, although enjoying it. I've bought (too)
many books, and had a couple of relatively successful years growing veggies
and such. However, though the books go into a lot of detail on how to grow
plants, their soil requirements, etc etc, they don't usually have a lot of
info on what to do with the produce (yeah, I know -- "eat it"). I'm thinking
of information on what parts of plants are edible (or poisonous), how you
process it, how you store it, etc.

Is there any online info that concentrates on this aspect of gardening? Or a
good book that someone can recommend?

Old 27-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Gary Woods

"Dennis Edward" wrote:

Is there any online info that concentrates on this aspect of gardening? Or a
good book that someone can recommend?

Lots and lots.

First and foremost, get yourself the latest edition of the "Ball Blue
Book."
Imagine Ed McMahon saying, "That's amazing, Johynny.... EVERYTHING you
could ever want to know about preserving food is in THIS BOOK!"

It's either a slender paperback or a big pamphlet... consider it the Holy
Writ of food preserving. Beyond that, there's lots of information... plug
USDA, canning, freezing, pickling into your favorite search engine and
duck.

I just got "Wild Fermentation," which has more than anybody needs to know
about pickles, kraut and more, with a lot of background on the cultures
that invented these things (Who thought burying a bunch of fish in the
ground to make sauce was a good idea). I like that sort of stuff. But
then, I'm weird.

Peace,

Old 27-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Jim Elbrecht

"Dennis Edward" wrote:

I'm a relative newbie at gardening, although enjoying it. I've bought (too)
many books, and had a couple of relatively successful years growing veggies
and such. However, though the books go into a lot of detail on how to grow
plants, their soil requirements, etc etc, they don't usually have a lot of
info on what to do with the produce (yeah, I know -- "eat it"). I'm thinking
of information on what parts of plants are edible (or poisonous), how you
process it, how you store it, etc.

Is there any online info that concentrates on this aspect of gardening? Or a
good book that someone can recommend?

'Putting Food By' - I have a 1970's [bought in '73'] copy kicking
around someplace & I still look at it once in a while. It covers
freezing, canning, drying, making jams & preserves--- and what
fruits/veggies are best suited for each.

Hopefully there is a newer version out there-- but if not, you can
probably find some copies on bookfinder.com.

Jim

Old 28-11-2004, 12:04 AM
Ross Reid

"Dennis Edward" wrote:

I'm a relative newbie at gardening, although enjoying it. I've bought (too)
many books, and had a couple of relatively successful years growing veggies
and such. However, though the books go into a lot of detail on how to grow
plants, their soil requirements, etc etc, they don't usually have a lot of
info on what to do with the produce (yeah, I know -- "eat it"). I'm thinking
of information on what parts of plants are edible (or poisonous), how you
process it, how you store it, etc.

Is there any online info that concentrates on this aspect of gardening? Or a
good book that someone can recommend?

Go to the web site of the National Center For Home Food Preservation.
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/
There is enough information there to get you well on your way to being
an expert in the field of safe and responsible home food preservation.
Ross,
Southern Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º17.446' North
80º13.472' West
To email, remove the obvious from my address.

Old 28-11-2004, 01:47 AM
omi

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
I just got "Wild Fermentation," which has more than anybody needs to know
about pickles, kraut and more, with a lot of background on the cultures
that invented these things (Who thought burying a bunch of fish in the
ground to make sauce was a good idea). I like that sort of stuff. But
then, I'm weird.

Sounds like a new way to make lutefisk . Not that I would ever like to make
it. Or smell it.

Olin

Old 28-11-2004, 02:47 AM
bill

On 11/27/04 9:23 AM, in article lK2qd.363134$nl.291275@pd7tw3no, "Dennis
Edward" wrote:

I'm a relative newbie at gardening, although enjoying it. I've bought (too)
many books, and had a couple of relatively successful years growing veggies
and such. However, though the books go into a lot of detail on how to grow
plants, their soil requirements, etc etc, they don't usually have a lot of
info on what to do with the produce (yeah, I know -- "eat it"). I'm thinking
of information on what parts of plants are edible (or poisonous), how you
process it, how you store it, etc.

Is there any online info that concentrates on this aspect of gardening? Or a
good book that someone can recommend?

My first question: What vegetables have you grown? I'm dying to know!
My second question: Do you have a freezer? If so, the manual that comes with
it will tell you how to freeze your extra vegetables.

My first suggestion: You may want to checkout a 'cooking'
newsgroup...alt.cooking-chat for example.

My first editorial: (off topic, sorry, but as you are relatively new, I feel
you may find this helpful for the long haul). Many books will encourage the
use of chemical fertilizers....chemical fertilizers don't nourish the soil
or feed worms...a chemical fertilizer feeds the plants and that is all. Feed
your worms (compost) and the soil becomes sustainable all on its own and
less waste goes to landfills.
Bill
PS: Isn't gardening fun! I love growing vegetables and I compost everything
in sight...well not quite, but I want to!

Old 28-11-2004, 05:55 AM
Pen

Here's a few links:

http://www.homecanning.com/
http://www.wannalearn.com/Home_and_G...inner_Cooking/
http://southernfood.about.com/od/canning/
http://www.greenfingers.com/gardenma...subcategory=72
http://www.weblife.org/canning.html
http://www.mountain-breeze.com/kitchen/canning/

Atleast you knew enough to ask. I wish someone had told me about
the 'time share escort service' when I went to Cancun.

Old 28-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Jim Elbrecht

"omi" wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
.. .
I just got "Wild Fermentation," which has more than anybody needs to know
about pickles, kraut and more, with a lot of background on the cultures
that invented these things (Who thought burying a bunch of fish in the
ground to make sauce was a good idea). I like that sort of stuff. But
then, I'm weird.

Sounds like a new way to make lutefisk . Not that I would ever like to make
it. Or smell it.

I want Gary to expand on the recipe a bit.

It reminds me of the buried casks of anchovies all Quang Nam province
in Vietnam that were fermenting to make Nuoc mam. I think they
were just layers of fish and salt-- buried to keep the temp more or
less steady- and turning into an unforgettable condiment in a few
months. [I happen to like it. It doesn't seem to be agree with most
westerners.]

Jim

Old 28-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Dennis Edward

Edward" wrote:

My first question: What vegetables have you grown? I'm dying to know!
My second question: Do you have a freezer? If so, the manual that comes
with
it will tell you how to freeze your extra vegetables.

My first suggestion: You may want to checkout a 'cooking'
newsgroup...alt.cooking-chat for example.

My first editorial: (off topic, sorry, but as you are relatively new, I
feel
you may find this helpful for the long haul). Many books will encourage
the
use of chemical fertilizers....chemical fertilizers don't nourish the soil
or feed worms...a chemical fertilizer feeds the plants and that is all.
Feed

So far, what I've found is that I get far more compostable material than I
can keep up with, so I don't see a lot of need for chemical fertilizers.

Last year I grew tomatoes (does anyone not?), peppers, carrots, onions,
turnips, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and pumpkins. Some did very well,
some not so good. I didn't really have the time to plan and organize very
well, because I'm also renovating the house. Turnips were bitter, because I
grew them in hot weather. Cole crops