Old 27-12-2004, 06:19 AM
HPBudlong

Default best catalogs for heirloom vegetable seeds and organic root stock

What are the best catalogs for heirloom or open polinated seeds. I particularly
interested i seeds that are not treated with fincicide and catalogs that show
what zone the plant can be grown in. I am also interested in organicly grown
root stock for strawberries, rasberries and asparagus for Zone 9.
Old 27-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 27 Dec 2004 05:19:08 GMT, (HPBudlong) wrote:

What are the best catalogs for heirloom or open polinated seeds. I particularly
interested i seeds that are not treated with fincicide and catalogs that show
what zone the plant can be grown in. I am also interested in organicly grown
root stock for strawberries, rasberries and asparagus for Zone 9.

Baker's Creek Heirloom Seeds www.rareseeds.com has lots of
heirlooms, and is organic; but I don't know that they indicate
zone, since most vegetables are annuals.

Seed Savers www.seedsavers.org is my favorite for heirlooms,
and they do indicate is the seeds are certified organic or not;
but not all their stock is certified organic. Certification is
expensive, and not all small producers can afford it. They also
indicate in the descriptions if a plant requires a longer,
hotter, or cooler season, but once again, they don't list zones
for their
vegetables.

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange www.southernexposure.com is
another good one. Like Seed Savers, they indicate which of their
seeds are certified organic, and also have the seed that while
not certified, is grown organically. As their name suggests, they
emphasize varieties adapted to the South, and they don't list
zones. They have a very helpful staff who answered some of
my questions in my continuing struggle against the spit!
Thrips and their Weapon of Mass Destruction, Tomato Spotted
Wilt Virus.

Seeds of Change www.seedsofchange.com is another good one,
I believe everything they have is certified organic.

You might also try reading the thread " seed catalongs" to get
the names of other catalogs to check. Just google on the name
to see if they have a web site.

hth

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"