Old 02-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Claire Petersky

Default Vegetable garden for guinea pigs (and people too!)

Since we got our guinea pigs a couple of weeks ago, I've been feeding them
most of their greens from what I have in the winter vegetable garden:
collard greens, chard, and parsley. I also some sugar pea volunteers (that
came up from the peas I planted this spring), and since there's not enough
of them to really have peas for the winter, I've been pulling up the vines
and feeding them to the pigs too.

Just this limited experience so far makes me think that it would make a lot
of sense to plant things this spring that the guinea pigs would enjoy. I'm
thinking carrots -- do the pigs eat the tops as well as the root? Beets
maybe? I like beets and beet greens, but we could share these with the pigs.
Lettuce maybe for sure, but I have to be vigilent to prevent the slugs from
getting to it first. Radish tops? Spinach always seems to bolt on me, but
maybe the guinea pigs wouldn't mind bolted spinach. Other ideas for the
garden?

I live in the Sunset Zone 5 (not sure what that is in the USDA system) in
the Pacific Northwest, which is similar in climate to the UK.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old 02-01-2005, 04:37 AM
Kelvyn

Claire, you post did not show up on the guinea pig group, maybe
you could copy again from here and post it directly as i am sure
you will get a lot of feed back. yes they eat carrot tops and mine
are fond of radish leaves (let them go to seed and the leaves will
get very big) they even eat the radish itself. They eat spinach
that has 'bolted' and prefer the crunchy stalk part. Dont know
about beets,should be ok but they sure will look funny with bright
red mouths !!!
kelvyn.

--
No guinea pigs were harmed in the writing or sending of this post.
("United we stand..divided we're just Peruvian fast food")

Old 02-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Auntie Em

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:16:18 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

[...]

Before doing this I would suggest that you discuss the nutritional
needs of Guinea Pigs with your small animal vet. As I recall from
working in a pet shop, Cavys have very distinct nutritional needs.
After all, they originates in the Andes mountains of South America.
It is doubtful that beets, carrots and peas are something that they
would have encountered in the wild. Feeding them such things,
although they may love it, might do more harm than good.

EM
-----
When in trouble or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Lorna Stevenson

Carrots, definitely. They're extremely high in Vitamin C and my guinea pigs
love them. Just because they wouldn't have come across them in the wild
doesn't mean it's not good for them. Not too sure about the tops, though.
How about some Romaine lettuce, tomatoes or bell peppers in the summer
months? They are all very nutritional and guinea pigs relish them.
Overall, if you're not sure, the rule of thumb should be not to feed them
anything you wouldn't eat yourself.

Lorna and the rodent clan.

link.net...

Old 02-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Alkyone

"...I've been feeding them
most of their greens from what I have in the winter vegetable garden:
collard greens, chard, and parsley..."

watch out with too much of cabbage-like things: guineas get gas from them
and this could have tummy aches as a result. Spinach is not too good for
them either, only occasionally and in very small amounts. Carrot tops are
OK, make sure it's all fresh and green, take out the withered stuff.
I feed my gps beetroot too, occasionally. They love it. But variety is the
key word here. Same as for humans. Check out these sites for more info on
food and nutritional values:
http://www.cavymadness.com/ click 'Care' and then 'Food'
http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/feeding.html
http://www.guinealynx.com/nutrition.html#lists

--
Best wishes,

Astrid
(+Sebastiaan, Cleopatra, Kassandra and Cassiopeia)

Old 02-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Pan Ohco

wrote:

I live in the Sunset Zone 5 (not sure what that is in the USDA system) in
the Pacific Northwest, which is similar in climate to the UK.

Try this to see what USDA zone your in.
http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/eurozoner.html

Pan Ohco

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a
Book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
--Assyrian stone tablet, c. 2800 B.C.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:50 AM
Claire Petersky

wrote:

I live in the Sunset Zone 5 (not sure what that is in the USDA system) in
the Pacific Northwest, which is similar in climate to the UK.

Try this to see what USDA zone your in.
http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/eurozoner.html

That'd be cool if I lived in Europe.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Jeffrey Turner

wrote:

I live in the Sunset Zone 5 (not sure what that is in the USDA system) in
the Pacific Northwest, which is similar in climate to the UK.

Try this to see what USDA zone your in.
http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/eurozoner.html

That'd be cool if I lived in Europe.

Try this:

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html?

--
It is only those who have neither
fired a shot nor heard the shrieks

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers.
--Jose Narosky

The urge to save humanity is almost
always a false front for the urge to
rule.
--H.L. Mencken

Old 03-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Claire Petersky

"Jeffrey Turner" wrote in message

Try this:

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html?

It looks like 8A or 8B -- hard to tell at that level of detail. But our
climate is nothing like that in Dallas or Gainesville. I like the Sunset
zones better.

Lawns & guinea pigs olyman Lawns 6 25-09-2012 03:18 AM
Best way to treat a lawn that is ahred with guinea pigs George.com United Kingdom 17 27-08-2012 10:14 PM
Grass lawn v guinea pigs...advice please vickie United Kingdom 12 14-12-2007 05:40 PM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too little water???? Brad and Julie Vaughn Lawns 9 04-09-2003 01:22 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 04:24 AM