Old 06-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Ken Anderson

Default Idaho potatoes

What variety is the well-know Idaho potato? The seed catalogs never identify
any of their varieties as the "Idaho" potato. Yes, I know I probably can't
grow a potato as tasty as an Idaho baker, but what variety is it?
Ken

Old 07-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Sylvan Butler

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:47:25 -0500, Ken Anderson wrote:
What variety is the well-know Idaho potato? The seed catalogs never identify

Usually a russet, typically russet burbank.
http://radio.boisestate.edu/informat...o/russets.html

Several other varieties (other russets, norkotah (?sp), ...) have been
and are being tried, but none are as popular.

Probably you would be happy with any of the dry, starchy "baking"
potatoes, and some other variety may be better for your climate, soil
and other growing conditions. You should check with a local university
extension office and ask about which "baking" potato does best in your
area.

(The other kinds of potato other than baking are sort of waxy/oily
instead of getting fluffy when baked.)

The reason you'll seldom see a seed catalog identify an "Idaho Potato"
is because Idaho is quite protective of that name. Legally only a
potato grown in Idaho can be identified as an Idaho Potato.

My grandfather made a living growing the "Idaho Potato" both as food and
as seed potatoes for many years. Last summer was the first year my
uncle did not grow potatoes. No more free, fresh potatoes with a known
history for me. Somehow alfalfa just isn't as appealing.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Old 07-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Ken Anderson

"Bill Moats" wrote in message
Burbank Russet, also known as Idaho Netted Gem. The most commonly grown spud
in the U.S.

"Ken Anderson" wrote in message
What variety is the well-know Idaho potato? The seed catalogs never
identify
any of their varieties as the "Idaho" potato. Yes, I know I probably can't
grow a potato as tasty as an Idaho baker, but what variety is it?
Ken

Thanks! And there's a problem if I just put eyes from a store-bought Idaho in
the ground?

Old 07-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Claire Petersky

Thanks! And there's a problem if I just put eyes from a store-bought
Idaho in
the ground?

I'd get one from the health food store, because one from the regular store
probably has been treated to keep the eyes from sprouting.

I have planted store-bought organic potatoes three times: a russet, a yukon
gold, and a german butterball. They have hybridized into a nice
yellow-fleshed, rough brown skinned, all-purpose potato that comes up here
and there every year, even if I think I've harvested every last one of them.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old 07-01-2005, 02:13 AM
rjwhite6

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:58:44 -0500, "Ken Anderson"
wrote:

"Bill Moats" wrote in message
Burbank Russet, also known as Idaho Netted Gem. The most commonly grown spud
in the U.S.

"Ken Anderson" wrote in message
What variety is the well-know Idaho potato? The seed catalogs never
identify
any of their varieties as the "Idaho" potato. Yes, I know I probably can't
grow a potato as tasty as an Idaho baker, but what variety is it?
Ken

Thanks! And there's a problem if I just put eyes from a store-bought Idaho in
the ground?

As another poster mentioned, store bought potatoes may be treated with
sprout inhibitors. My experience is that they will sprout, they just
take longer.

Common wisdom also says that store bought potatoes tend to be
diseased, so to not plant them in your garden.
If you plant the potatoes in acidic soil it will inhibit a lot of the
diseases such as scab. I have planted store bought potatoes in 12
inch pots of peat mix with great results.

I would not discourage anyone from buying certified seed though.
I usually do buy certified seed potatoes.

If I am at a garden center that has seed potatoes, I like to pick out
the small ones because I can plant them whole, rather than cutting
them. This can help avoid them rotting when planted.
btw these smaller seed potatoes (of Idaho varieties) will produce
normal sized potatoes at harvest.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:22 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:47:25 -0500, Ken Anderson wrote:

What variety is the well-know Idaho potato? The seed catalogs never identify
any of their varieties as the "Idaho" potato. Yes, I know I probably can't
grow a potato as tasty as an Idaho baker, but what variety is it?
Ken

Just curious, why would you want to grow a super market variety potato?
Potatos aren't any better when they are fresh, a potato that's been in
your refrigerator for two months tastes the same as one that you just
bought so there is no advantage to pulling one out of the ground and
throwing it in to a pot. Also supermarket varieties are bred for yield and
durability not for flavor. If you are going to grow a potato why don't
you grow an exotic variety. We have something on the order of four
varieties in our supermarkets, in Peru there are 8000 varieties of
potatos. Surely there must be some way to get a hold of a potato other
than an Idaho or a Maine.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Bill Orr

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news
[...]

You are right in that there are numerous varieties of potatoes, many of them
more tasty than others. When I was in Germany, I used to go to a restaurant
that served Vienasnitzel and Homefrys. The potatoes were darker than the Idaho
and had a kind of sweet taste. I've never been able to find the same potato
here in the states.

Bill