Old 04-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Garry Nixon

Default "Plant ID" Garlic Mustard

I posted a few weeks ago with a picture of a plant and asked for help in
identifying it. It had emerged after digging a trench for path edging
(along with a lot of comfrey), and so had presumably been dormant beneath
the soil for some time.

Anyway, most people thought it was garlic mustard, (aka jack-in-the-hedge!).
I've been back to the garden after the hols, tasted a new leaf (quite a lot
of new growth, considering the time of year - we've had no real frosts yet),
AND... No doubt about it: an earthy taste reminiscent of both garlic and
mustard. It'll be great in salads.

I've posted the picture at:
http://EasyPicHost.com/garrynixon/garlic+mustard.jpg

Thanks to all for helping me name an unloked for addition to my allotment.
;-)

Garry

--
http://pigstyave.blogspot.com/