Old 15-01-2005, 03:25 AM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Default Attracting Butterflies

Hi, Everybody,

What types of flowers do butterflies like? If it
matters, the ones near here are Monarch(?) type and
some kind with mostly black wings with red parts and
white dots.

The areas to be planted a 1x2 metre bed, and around the
edges of a grass area. Containers possible as well.

Thanks in advance.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 15-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Katra

In article ,
Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

Hi, Everybody,

What types of flowers do butterflies like? If it
matters, the ones near here are Monarch(?) type and
some kind with mostly black wings with red parts and
white dots.

The areas to be planted a 1x2 metre bed, and around the
edges of a grass area. Containers possible as well.

Thanks in advance.

There is a TON of info on this on the web. :-)
I know, I've looked there myself.
Personally, I mix Lantana and starflower, as well as butterfly bush. I
do ok, but the wall of honeysuckles on one side of the yard do the best
job! I'm trying to get more hummingbirds in so have planted trumpet
vine, but it's taking forEVER to get going! :-P

Try he

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...misc/ef006.htm

And that's just a start!
Go to google.com and type "butterfly garden" into the search.

Have fun! :-)

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 16-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Joelle

What types of flowers do butterflies like?

I've always had the best luck with Mexican sunflowers. And they grow fast and
easy anywhere. Zinnias are good too.

Joelle
"The children who need love the most will always ask for it in the most
unloving ways" ~ Words of a teacher quoted by Russell Barkley~

Old 17-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Steve Calvin

Katra wrote:
[...]

We have good luck with the butterfly bushes. No honeysuckles around
though. As for the hummingbirds, have you tried one of those red
feeders for them? You have to remember to take them down in the fall
though or the little buggers kind of "forget" to migrate and hang around.

We have some and they return every year. Cool little devils to watch.
They've actually gotten "semi" used to us and if we make no sudden moves
they get rather brave sometimes.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Old 17-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Kelvyn

For 'Monarch' butterflies you need 'swan plants'.

--
No guinea pigs were harmed in the writing or sending of this post.
("United we stand..divided we're just Peruvian fast food")
Old 17-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Katra

In article ,
Steve Calvin wrote:

Katra wrote:
[...]

I've tried a few feeders, but have just never had good luck attracting
many. sigh We had a LOT of them when we lived in California!

I miss the little buzzers.....
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 17-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Steve Calvin

Katra wrote:

I've tried a few feeders, but have just never had good luck attracting
many. sigh We had a LOT of them when we lived in California!

I miss the little buzzers.....

Didja try the red one? For some reason, they're attracted to red. We
get 'em in NY, my Mother used to get them in NW PA, and Nancy's Mom gets
them on Cape Cod with them. All red ones.

Old 18-01-2005, 02:55 AM
Katra

In article ,
Steve Calvin wrote:

Katra wrote:

I've tried a few feeders, but have just never had good luck attracting
many. sigh We had a LOT of them when we lived in California!

I miss the little buzzers.....

Didja try the red one? For some reason, they're attracted to red. We
get 'em in NY, my Mother used to get them in NW PA, and Nancy's Mom gets
them on Cape Cod with them. All red ones.

Oh yes!

Most hummingbird feeders have red reservoirs and/or bases.

I think there is just too much for them to eat in nature around here...
:-)

Old 20-01-2005, 01:24 AM
ragamuffin2004

They go nuts for pineapple sage.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:08 PM
GardenGuy

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote in message
Hi, Everybody,

What types of flowers do butterflies like? If it
matters, the ones near here are Monarch(?) type and
some kind with mostly black wings with red parts and
white dots.

The areas to be planted a 1x2 metre bed, and around the
edges of a grass area. Containers possible as well.

Thanks in advance.

Howdy:

I suggest you review the ag publication at the University of Florida EDIS
site at:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/UW057 The publication is quite comprehensive and I
think you will find it informative.

If you click at the upper right hand corner you can download the formal pdf
version.

GG
Zone 9b

Attracting Butterflies Pen Edible Gardening 2 20-01-2005 09:03 PM
Attracting Butterflies Pen Edible Gardening 1 19-01-2005 12:56 PM
Need tips for attracting birds bees butterflies & bats DJboutit Gardening 7 14-10-2004 02:00 AM
Attracting Butterflies Luke Australia 10 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Attracting Butterflies Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:13 AM