Old 24-01-2005, 04:09 AM
pandora

Default New poster - a Brag

Hi ALL,

I just wanted to brag on myself and my vegetable gardening success. This
year, I grew brussels sprouts. Everyone, including the nursery where I
bought the plants, that they wouldn't grow here. I live on the Pacific
coast in Oregon. It's too salty, they said for brussels sprouts to grow. I
persevered. Strangeley enough, out of 6 plants, 5 of them grew to gigantic
proportions. We had several lbs of brussels sprouts for Thanksgiving and
Christmas dinners. I am amazed. I think I'll be planting them again this
year.

Marg

Old 25-01-2005, 08:18 PM
simy1

pandora wrote:
Hi ALL,

I just wanted to brag on myself and my vegetable gardening success.

This
year, I grew brussels sprouts. Everyone, including the nursery where

bought the plants, that they wouldn't grow here. I live on the

Pacific
coast in Oregon. It's too salty, they said for brussels sprouts to

grow. I
persevered. Strangeley enough, out of 6 plants, 5 of them grew to

gigantic
proportions. We had several lbs of brussels sprouts for Thanksgiving

and
Christmas dinners. I am amazed. I think I'll be planting them again

this
year.

Marg

congratulations. in fact all brassicas come from a mediterranean
seashore weed, so some salt tolerance was to be expected. Asparagus
will also do well in your locale, but what else can people grow near
the seashore? Obviously, whatever likes cool weather and tolerates
salt. I think beet and chard will also do well.

Old 26-01-2005, 05:53 AM
pandora

"simy1" wrote in message
oups.com...

pandora wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions. I've grown peppers (green and jalapeno) in past
years but this year, for some reason, they didn't do well. Tomatoes of all
kinds have done exceptionally well and we always get a bumper crop. It's
fun trying out various vegetables to see what works.

Marg

Old 06-02-2005, 03:38 AM
Jan Flora

In article .com,
"simy1" wrote:

pandora wrote:
[...]

Artichokes like coastal summers.

New poster, new pond design default Ponds 8 20-10-2006 03:18 PM
Orchids to Brag About (an e-book!) JMcKenzie Orchids 3 27-05-2004 11:04 PM
Brag about my Amaryllis mary Gardening 2 11-02-2004 10:02 PM
Transplanting Trees...New gardener...New poster kahunamo Gardening 3 03-06-2003 05:32 PM
Little brag Cybe R. Wizard Ponds 5 03-04-2003 06:08 PM