Old 07-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Anonymous

Default greenhouse newbie

Hi,

ok... the greenhouse is up (12-24 quonset)... concrete floor.

have a hydropharm ebb-flow in it just 'cause I had one... have mixed
lettuce in rockwool in it now.... seems to be doing ok but just getting
the buggs out it... never grown lettuce before.

have a 200W aquarium heater in the tank set at it's lowest setting so
the roots get some "warm" nutrient but no light at this point in time
(there's a 400W HPS on a track ready to go)

and when I'm out there I crank up a little kerosean heater... heat and
co2....

adding some Little Buddy homebuilt clones to fill my space (I've got
12*12 and swmbo has 12*12)

intending for the tube setups to house quicky tomatoes and peppers....
and they'll get the additional light.

any suggestions?

like right now I'm using "2 scoops" (3 T) of miracle grow general
purupose to 20 gallons of nutrient... it's a stop gap to be sure... but
anybody got suggestions?

any tips on greenhouse bluebonnets?
Old 08-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Anonymous

Anonymous wrote:

ok... the greenhouse is up (12-24 quonset)... concrete floor.

and if you've been put off by high greenhouse prices in the retail
catalogs.... when manage to get onto one of the wholesale lists and buy
one of the "point of sale" mini greenhouses... mine was the samllest the
vendor sold at 12*24!

--

Leinad/SWD/Cobray Derringer Side Plates

Old 08-02-2005, 04:22 PM
barbara beardsley

What are the best maters to plant in a 5 gallon bucket? I think all the ones
I have get too big- (Marglobe, Brandywine, Early Cascade, Black Krim, Giant
Belgium) Can any go in a 10 gallon pot? What about cherry maters?
Thanks

Barbara

Old 09-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:
In article
,
says...
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:22:53 GMT, "barbara beardsley"
wrote:

What are the best maters to plant in a 5 gallon bucket? I think all the ones
I have get too big- (Marglobe, Brandywine, Early Cascade, Black Krim, Giant
Belgium) Can any go in a 10 gallon pot? What about cherry maters?
Thanks

Barbara

I should think just about any tomato would do well in a 5 gallon, or
even a bit smaller bucket. They do not need a huge root system in
rich, well fertilized soil with the right moister content.

Yes, it seems to be a big issue of *consistency* with
the watering/moisture. They seem to want just a
certain amount every 1 or 2 days, and EVERY daily cycle
for their whole life.

I found last season to watch for a bucket with drainage
probs (perhaps position, or more likely my sloppiness
with unfinished compost.) They don't like wet feet -
seems to stunt their growth.

Right now, my schedule is one litre per plant, on one-
day-on-one-day-off, then the off-days have a general
hose-down for the whole garden.

My tomatoes are in 20-litre/5-gal buckets, and
everything else is in 10-litre/2.5-gal buckets. They
seem to be reasonably happy, as long as I keep
disciplined with giving them attention.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

If I start cherry tomatoes in a 5Gal pot in the basement how do I
light it ? I'd buy a 4 ft fluorescent grow lamp, put it vertical and
rotate the plant every day. Do I need two lamps

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Old 13-02-2005, 07:14 AM
Matthew Montchalin

Al Dykes wrote:
|If I start cherry tomatoes in a 5Gal pot in the basement how do I
|light it ? I'd buy a 4 ft fluorescent grow lamp, put it vertical and
|rotate the plant every day. Do I need two lamps

Well, I just germinated two whole packets of tomato seeds overnight, and
all of the sprouts seem to be poking up green enough under ordinary
"cool white" fluorescent lights.

Are "grow" lamps really necessary for raising tomatoes?

Right now, the tomatoes enjoy warm temperatures because I made my
own miniature terrariums (terraria) out of clear transparent plastic
bottles, and the light comes through their walls where beams of light
are presumably captured in the high humidity of the terrariums.

At least for germinating tomato seeds, warm and humid is more important
than having fancy kinds of spotlights.

newbie greenhouse questions Anonymous United Kingdom 0 07-02-2005 10:25 AM
greenhouse newbie Anonymous North Carolina 0 07-02-2005 10:24 AM
NEWBIE HELP: How to seed? Nick Thudick Gardening 6 01-04-2003 09:44 PM
Newbie Noela Orchids 1 31-03-2003 07:20 AM
Newbie Q: Baby spinach Irving Kimura Edible Gardening 4 04-02-2003 03:43 AM