Old 24-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Kathy

Default Mulch hay

I'm new here so please forgive if you all discussed this last year, but how
do you know if mulch hay is safe? I'd like to get a couple bales of hay, or
better yet seed-free straw, for mulching potatoes and peppers. I've always
heard that hay is THE thing for mulching. But how do I know if the hay is
safe and doesn't have broad-leaf weed killers in it?

Kathy

Old 24-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Kathy" wrote:

I'm new here so please forgive if you all discussed this last year, but how
do you know if mulch hay is safe? I'd like to get a couple bales of hay, or
better yet seed-free straw, for mulching potatoes and peppers. I've always
heard that hay is THE thing for mulching. But how do I know if the hay is
safe and doesn't have broad-leaf weed killers in it?

Kathy

First of all, most broad leaf weed killers (as far as I know anyway,
everyone please correct me if I am wrong!) are only effective when
sprayed on the leaves of the target plants, and they biodegrade with
time.

Secondly, if you get feed grade hay, I don't think there are usually
week killers in feed hay as it could hurt the livestock???

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 25-02-2005, 12:07 AM
GA Pinhead

Kathy wrote:
better yet seed-free straw

Wheat straw at least will always have wheat seeds in it. But wheat will
not grow in the summer, at least in the South. But it will oversummer
and sprout in the fall.

heard that hay is THE thing for mulching. But how do I know if the hay is
safe and doesn't have broad-leaf weed killers in it?

If it was sprayed, it was sprayed early so residual effect should not be
a problem. If it wasn't sprayed weed seeds can be a problem. An ex
hort prof told me to get the second cutting of hay, fewer weeds seeds
overall, at least for bermuda hay.

THE thing? Well, lets just say, that any ,ulch is better than none!

John!

Old 02-03-2005, 02:32 AM
Claire Petersky

"Kathy" wrote in message
But how do I know if the hay is
safe and doesn't have broad-leaf weed killers in it?

I would think that hay that has been grown for guinea pig or rabbit
consumption would be safe. Here are some brands that are often recommended:

Oxbow's timothy hay: www.oxbowhay.com
American Pet Diner has timothy and other grass hay: www.americanpetdiner.com
Sweet Meadow Hay: www.sweetmeadowfarm.com

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

Old 02-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Mary McHugh

Kathy wrote:
I'm new here so please forgive if you all discussed this last year, but how
do you know if mulch hay is safe? I'd like to get a couple bales of hay, or
better yet seed-free straw, for mulching potatoes and peppers. I've always
heard that hay is THE thing for mulching. But how do I know if the hay is
safe and doesn't have broad-leaf weed killers in it?

Kathy

In general, mulch hay was intended for feeding but got wet or spoiled
before it was baled, or it may have been baled too far past bloom to be
of much nutritional value. High moisture/rain conditions cause mold in
the hay and is generally considered unsuitable for both equine and
bovine consumption (but for different reasons).

At most, the hay may have been sprayed with proprionic acid which tends
to retard mold formation. It's safe for animal consumption. OTOH, if
the hay is mulch hay, chances are it doesn't have proprionic acid
sprayed on it anyway.

I use my feed hay in the garden as mulch if it happens to mold.

Mary

25 year old bales of hay ok for mulch? [email protected] Gardening 9 01-07-2011 04:49 PM
Free Hay mulch George.com Gardening 19 02-08-2007 09:34 PM
Hay mulch question George.com Gardening 4 20-05-2006 07:31 PM
hay mulch Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 6 25-05-2003 01:32 PM
using old hay for mulch ? Stephen Birchall United Kingdom 9 29-01-2003 07:09 PM