GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grass frertilizer for corn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/90979-grass-frertilizer-corn.html)

Joseph A. Zupko 15-03-2005 09:11 PM

Grass frertilizer for corn

Since corn belongs to the grass family. Can I use grass fertilizer for corn
plants? Not the weed and feed kind .
Thank you

TQ 15-03-2005 09:49 PM

"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote in message
om...
Since corn belongs to the grass family. Can I use grass fertilizer for

corn
plants? Not the weed and feed kind .
Thank you

Corn likes a lot of nitrogen. What are the N-P-K numbers on the bag.

Gary 31-03-2005 09:19 AM

On 3/15/05 5:10 PM, in article , "Steve"
wrote:

Joseph A. Zupko wrote:
Since corn belongs to the grass family. Can I use grass fertilizer for corn
plants? Not the weed and feed kind .
Thank you

I've been doing that for years. I start with a normal garden fertilizer
like 10-10-10 or something. When the corn is a foot tall, or a little
taller I give it a good side dressing of lawn fertilizer. Zoom!
http://www.geocities.com/tlswilso/8-4-01Janecorn.jpg

Steve

I haven't used 'normal' synthetic fertilizers for years. I have found that
synthetic (chemical) fertilizers will actually kill the worms in the ground
and provides no food for them. So I have gone back to the old sustainable
way of feeding my vegetables. I use compost. I basically just feed the worms
and they feed the plants. New idea? Nope. Old. And it works for a long time.
I just keep feeding the worms and they produce-Magic! :)
Gary