GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anyone ever use mushroom compost for tomatoes? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/91250-re-anyone-ever-use-mushroom-compost-tomatoes.html)

Pat Kiewicz 21-03-2005 10:52 AM

Anyone ever use mushroom compost for tomatoes?

Excalibur said:
(nothing beyond the subject)

I started one of my gardens with 7 yards of mushroom compost. I
eventually found one horse shoe and numerous nails. Everything grew
well. (I wish I had been able to start my current garden the same way.)

(attributed to Don Marti)

RogueWave 27-03-2005 04:59 PM

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 04:36:15 +1000, len gardener
wrote:

yeh wierd nothing in the text body, so here goes.

yes i use mushroom compost all the time fresh or decomposed matters
not to me and yes i grow everything i need including tomatoes.

len

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 01:10:13 GMT, Excalibur wrote:

I've read that mushroom compost is heavy with salt content and must be
used sparingly for that reason.

Conor Redmond 28-03-2005 09:10 AM

Yes, Mushroom compost is an excellent addition for vegetable growing
the Mycorrhizal activity allows the plant to extract nutrients from the soil
more easily

Cheers
Conor
http://www.gardennut.com