GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rat poison a good idea? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/91460-rat-poison-good-idea.html)

James 26-03-2005 04:54 PM

Rat poison a good idea?

There are many holes in my garden and I wonder if using rat poison
would get rid of the little pests.

Boron Elgar 26-03-2005 06:04 PM

On 26 Mar 2005 08:54:13 -0800, "James" wrote:

There are many holes in my garden and I wonder if using rat poison
would get rid of the little pests.

What size are the holes and what have you seen?

The last time rat poison was set out in my neighborhood, the squirrel
population took quite a nose dive.

Some misguided neighbor had called the township about seeing rats near
the stream and we ALL were required to hire a pest control company and
pay for it ourselves. Well, they had sorta kinda seen rats...MUSKrats,
which we discovered swimming lazily along in the pond. What a pain all
that was to go through.

Boron

Katra 26-03-2005 10:00 PM

In article .com,
"James" wrote:

There are many holes in my garden and I wonder if using rat poison
would get rid of the little pests.

It's about the only way you are ever going to get them under
control......

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

simy1 27-03-2005 03:22 AM

James wrote:
There are many holes in my garden and I wonder if using rat poison
would get rid of the little pests.

as others have said, if you put it above ground you will be making a
mess. I used to be overrun and I would put it in the tunnels, digging a
hole with my finger, pouring the stuff, and closing it.

then I discovered that predator urine keeps them away. I have not seen
one in years.

Conor Redmond 28-03-2005 08:47 AM

Smoke bombs may be a better solution for your mole problem. With any type
of poison there's always a risk that the poison may be ingested directly by
pets or they eat something that was posioned. The main ingredients of smoke
bombs e.g sulphur are not harmful to the soil, which is handy if you want to
go vegie growing afterward.

Cheers
Conor
http://www.gardenut.com