Old 04-04-2005, 02:24 AM
simy1

Default Inoculant question

I pllanted my favas and my peas in beds that are one year old (they
used to be prairie). I gave the beds maybe four inches of compost made
with wood chips and grass clippings last year, and the soil, formerly
very sandy, is already vastly improved. But they never were manured.
Part of the favas went into a bed, five years old, done entirely with
compost made of leaves plus kitchen scraps. I covered all seeds with
two years old wood chips. Question: should I have inoculated them prior
to planting? Can I improve matters by side dressing with manure, which
works as inoculant? Should I inoculate my pole beans, which will go in
in a month?

Old 06-04-2005, 09:45 PM
simy1

simy1 wrote:
I planted my favas and my peas in beds that are one year old (they
used to be prairie). I gave the beds maybe four inches of compost

made
with wood chips and grass clippings last year, and the soil, formerly

I am not getting too many hits. Let me rephrase it: have you ever used
inoculant? does it work? Do you have proof that average soil will
inoculate peas or beans just as well? perhaps there is a lurker there
who has an idea.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:15 PM
FDR

"simy1" wrote in message
oups.com...

simy1 wrote:
I planted my favas and my peas in beds that are one year old (they
used to be prairie). I gave the beds maybe four inches of compost

made
with wood chips and grass clippings last year, and the soil, formerly

I am not getting too many hits. Let me rephrase it: have you ever used
inoculant? does it work? Do you have proof that average soil will
inoculate peas or beans just as well? perhaps there is a lurker there
who has an idea.

I did a Google search and it seems that there is no conclusive evidence from
gardeners.

Old 07-04-2005, 01:15 AM
Thomas

Is you goal of inoculating the beans to fix nitrogen in the root system? If
so, yes, this should have been done when you planted your seeds. I think
that your usage of compost made from wood chips and grass clippings may have
improved your soil's structure, but I would bet that your soil needs
nutrients. What kind of fertilizer are you using if any? The same with the
5 year old soil which you amended with compost of leaves and kitchen
scraps. You might consider feeding your soil with a good organic
fertilizer and some dried molasses if you can get it to encourage biological
activity in your soil. It will help a lot..
Thomas
ups.com...

Old 07-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Thomas" scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Is you goal of inoculating the beans to fix nitrogen in the root system? If
so, yes, this should have been done when you planted your seeds. I think
that your usage of compost made from wood chips and grass clippings may have
improved your soil's structure, but I would bet that your soil needs
nutrients. What kind of fertilizer are you using if any? The same with the
5 year old soil which you amended with compost of leaves and kitchen
scraps. You might consider feeding your soil with a good organic
fertilizer and some dried molasses if you can get it to encourage biological
activity in your soil. It will help a lot..
Thomas

Will well composted manure mixed with soil work???

I generally top dress with soil shoveled out of the chicken and emu pens.

Seems to make all kinds of happy plants. ;-)

If anyone in Texas in the Austin/San Antonio area wants to shovel their
own for free, please feel free to visit me! lol

This e-mail works if you remove the "mungbean".
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Old 07-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Thomas

Well composted manure is perfect. If you weren't two hours away, I'd come
shovel some for myself!
Thomas
"Katra" wrote in message
[...]

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell see, I have friends
in both places." --Mark Twain

Old 07-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Frank Miles

In article . com,
simy1 wrote:
I pllanted my favas and my peas in beds that are one year old (they
used to be prairie). I gave the beds maybe four inches of compost made
with wood chips and grass clippings last year, and the soil, formerly
very sandy, is already vastly improved. But they never were manured.
Part of the favas went into a bed, five years old, done entirely with
compost made of leaves plus kitchen scraps. I covered all seeds with
two years old wood chips. Question: should I have inoculated them prior
to planting? Can I improve matters by side dressing with manure, which
works as inoculant? Should I inoculate my pole beans, which will go in
in a month?

IMHO innoculation helps, though I haven't made careful measurements. The
plants seems bigger, healthier, and most definitely have more and larger root
nodules.

Definitely treat before planting.

-frank
Old 07-04-2005, 09:40 PM
simy1

Frank Miles wrote:

IMHO innoculation helps, though I haven't made careful measurements.

The
plants seems bigger, healthier, and most definitely have more and

larger root
nodules.

too late, of course. But I will inoculate half the pole beans when I
plant them next month, so I will have a test plus a control sample.
For the present batch, I will err on the side of caution and fertilize
with urea.
Surely inoculation and urea have the same overall effect. In 2004, in
the old repeatedly manured beds, it was hard to tell a difference.