GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Jalapeno and Serano Pepper Plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/92347-jalapeno-serano-pepper-plants.html)

The Ranger 12-04-2005 07:17 PM

Jalapeno and Serano Pepper Plants

I planted six plants total last spring, 3 jalapeno and 3 Serrano, and these
pearls produced throughout our very mild winter. Now that spring has sprung
in my region (Zone 9), these same six plants are growing stupendously.
Should I continue to allow them to grow? Will they produce with the same
zeal and zest from last year's full season? Will the peppers be woody or
have other unfavorable characteristics because of plant age? Should I plant
an all new 4" crop?

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Penelope Periwinkle 12-04-2005 07:55 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:17:11 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

I planted six plants total last spring, 3 jalapeno and 3 Serrano, and these
pearls produced throughout our very mild winter. Now that spring has sprung
in my region (Zone 9), these same six plants are growing stupendously.
Should I continue to allow them to grow? Will they produce with the same
zeal and zest from last year's full season? Will the peppers be woody or
have other unfavorable characteristics because of plant age? Should I plant
an all new 4" crop?

They should be fine. Peppers are considered to be perennials.

I overwinter a couple of peppers in the house every year, one,
the Grenada Seasoning, is on its third season. I prune mine back
a bit when I first bring them outside, but that's probably not
necessary since yours were overwintered outside.

Penelope

DanS 24-04-2005 07:00 PM

Penelope is correct, they will be ok. Peppers are a perenial plant
except in warmer area. The plants will get woody yet this will not slow
growth or production. This year having a larger plant you should have a
larger harvest. Assuming soil and weather conditions are good

Good Luck

DanS
The Pepper Center
http://www.peppercenter.com