GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   killing groundhogs... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/92639-killing-groundhogs.html)

JohnShaft 18-04-2005 03:42 PM

killing groundhogs...

Would rat poison work on groundhogs? I want to get rid of those things before putting out my plants. If so are there any brands that are good. Poison wouldn't hurt the plants would it? Would cats eat it too? We have a major stray problem and I wouldn't mind knocking off some of them as well.

JohnShaft 18-04-2005 05:44 PM

I was also trying to research kill traps.

This trap is designed for possums but I think it might be good for groundhogs too.
http://www.arta.co.nz/arc/library/v24388_2.pdf#search='timms%20traps'

Gary Flynn 19-04-2005 02:31 AM

JohnShaft wrote:
Would rat poison work on groundhogs? I want to get rid of those things
before putting out my plants. If so are there any brands that are
good. Poison wouldn't hurt the plants would it? Would cats eat it
too? We have a major stray problem and I wouldn't mind knocking off
some of them as well.

They're slow moving. Use a .22.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogle+Sear ch

enigma 22-04-2005 01:04 PM

Gary Flynn wrote in
:

JohnShaft wrote:
Would rat poison work on groundhogs? I want to get rid of
those things before putting out my plants. If so are there
any brands that are good. Poison wouldn't hurt the plants
would it? Would cats eat it too? We have a major stray
problem and I wouldn't mind knocking off some of them as
well.

They're slow moving. Use a .22.

barring that, i have a chicken eating fox i'd be happy to ship to
you. it ate my groundhogs.
lee no, poison doesn't work on groundhogs usually

Mikael 25-04-2005 12:57 PM

22 LR or Conibear type traps should do. There are a lot of links on trapping
and Conibear traps. They are a kill trap, so don't use them if you have dogs
in the area that will get into them.

--
JohnShaft