GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can Preying Mantis' take care of garden pests? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/92673-can-preying-mantis-take-care-garden-pests.html)

BenGman 19-04-2005 02:59 AM

Can Preying Mantis' take care of garden pests?

I was wondering if preying mantises could get rid of all (or most
infamous) pests in my garden without eating my plants?

tb 19-04-2005 03:38 AM

Sure. They only eat live insects, not plants. They eat *all* insects,
not just the ones you would like for them to eat. You want to have
them eating when you have bugs you want eaten, so a bit of a juggling
act, and they don't live forever and they don't stay where you put them
exactly.

Katra 19-04-2005 06:48 AM

In article .com,
"BenGman" wrote:

I was wondering if preying mantises could get rid of all (or most
infamous) pests in my garden without eating my plants?

Mantises don't eat plants... ;-)
While they are voracious predators, they can only be in limited numbers
in any one area because they also eat each other!

A mix of predators works best...
--
K.

Hunter77 19-04-2005 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenGman
I was wondering if preying mantises could get rid of all (or most
infamous) pests in my garden without eating my plants?

It's actually "praying mantis" because they look like they are praying. These insects can be very helpful in destroying harmful bugs. Lady(beetles)bugs will also help.