Old 20-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Registered User

Location: Brisbane, Australia
Default can I transplant a bean plant?

ok well I decided to entertain my kids by putting some wet paper towel in a jar and put a bean on it so it would grow and well this bean is going crazy lol, its wrapping its roots around the paper towel and is growing right out of the jar. Now would this bean plant survive if I planted it in the garden? If I can plant it, should I unwrap its roots from the paper towel or should I just put the paper towel in the ground along with the roots seeing as it seems to not be doing any harm to our little guy? I think my son would be quite upset if I just had to let it die as he is getting quite attatched to it LMAO...
Old 20-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Al Reid

--
Witchy Mama

Sure, put it in the garden, it should do fine. I don't think you need to unwrap the roots from the paper towel, as that will
probably do more harm than good.

Old 20-04-2005, 06:00 PM
omi

"Witchy Mama" wrote in message

ok well I decided to entertain my kids by putting some wet paper towel
in a jar and put a bean on it so it would grow and well this bean is
going crazy lol, its wrapping its roots around the paper towel and is
growing right out of the jar. Now would this bean plant survive if I
planted it in the garden? If I can plant it, should I unwrap its roots
from the paper towel or should I just put the paper towel in the ground
along with the roots seeing as it seems to not be doing any harm to our
little guy? I think my son would be quite upset if I just had to let it
die as he is getting quite attatched to it LMAO...

I do it fairly often with pole beans. Our growing season is too short for
pole beans to be productive by direct seeding. and I can gain about one
extra month by starting the seeds indoors. Try not to break the radicle
when transplanting. Olin

Old 20-04-2005, 11:50 PM
CK

Hi Witchy,

What kind of bean you got? I am living in mid Wales in UK and where do you
live? It is because here we can overwinter hardy broad bean but we should
not plant French bean or runner bean out before May. Besides, we need to
hardening off the plants before we plant them outdoor if they are raised
indoor. I will put the plant with the kitchen towel into a pot with compost
and start hardening off if the weather allowed.

Hope it can help.

With regards,
CK from Aberystwyth

Old 22-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Registered User

Location: Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
Hi Witchy,

What kind of bean you got? I am living in mid Wales in UK and where do you
live? It is because here we can overwinter hardy broad bean but we should
not plant French bean or runner bean out before May. Besides, we need to
hardening off the plants before we plant them outdoor if they are raised
indoor. I will put the plant with the kitchen towel into a pot with compost
and start hardening off if the weather allowed.

Hope it can help.

With regards,
CK from Aberystwyth

um its blue lake or something like that (I know it has blue in it LMAO), and I am in australia but we don't really have a winter where I am so alot of people will grow out of season, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try getting it to grow, its not like I am relying on it to feed us lol...

Old 22-04-2005, 12:50 PM
CK

Many years ago, I lost two pots of fully grown indoor bushy tomatoes in
three days as I needed to leave them in an exposed garden when I moved.

Bean plant would like to have a sunny place to grow but if the root system
is not established, it cannot not take water fast enough under the sun and
strong wind.

As a teacher before, I always compare the growing of plants with bringing up
of kids, an indoor or greenhouse environment providing them a safe
environment to start with. However, there should be a process of hardening
off before we let the protected plants to expose to outdoor environment.

If plants have been sown outdoor starting from the beginning, they will
germinate and grow slower first, so they have stronger stems and more
developed root systems to deal with the wind, pest, sun, drought, etc.

With regards,
CK