Old 23-04-2005, 09:46 PM
ronald

Default Substitute for lettuce

Hi all,
I am looking for a substitute for lettuce to use in salads, as I can't
digest lettuce very good anymore. I have tried corn salad and couldn't
get it to grow or produce very much. Endive is too bitter.

Does anyone know of a good salad plant that produces well and has a
mild taste?
Thank you
Ronald

Old 23-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Katra

In article .com,
"ronald" wrote:

Hi all,
I am looking for a substitute for lettuce to use in salads, as I can't
digest lettuce very good anymore. I have tried corn salad and couldn't
get it to grow or produce very much. Endive is too bitter.

Does anyone know of a good salad plant that produces well and has a
mild taste?
Thank you
Ronald

A very common substitute is fresh spinach leaves.
Chard will also work.

Hope this helps? :-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Old 28-04-2005, 08:37 PM
John Savage

"ronald" writes:
I am looking for a substitute for lettuce to use in salads, as I can't
digest lettuce very good anymore. I have tried corn salad and couldn't
get it to grow or produce very much. Endive is too bitter.

Does anyone know of a good salad plant that produces well and has a
mild taste?

As others suggested, young spinach or silverbeet leaves would be a good
substitute. Maybe shredded cabbage, e.g., the small sugarloaf, or any
variety harvested young. Young dandelion leaves, nasturtium leaves, celery
leaves. Mustard or cress seedlings, or any sprouts: bean, pea, etc., though
I have heard that some of these (viz., alfalfa) should be stirfried and not
eaten raw otherwise much of its nutrient content is unavailable to our
digestive system. (Similar thing applies to tomatoes--the fruit, I mean.)

Old 30-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Trevor Woods

ronald wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,
I am looking for a substitute for lettuce to use in salads, as I can't
digest lettuce very good anymore. I have tried corn salad and couldn't
get it to grow or produce very much. Endive is too bitter.

Does anyone know of a good salad plant that produces well and has a
mild taste?

Maybe you could try growing Rocket. It may not be mild enough though. It has
a taste that reminds me of cashew nuts. I find I can grow it all year, and
its become my most reliable green leafy salad vegetable.

Old 30-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Frogleg

On 23 Apr 2005 13:46:15 -0700, "ronald" wrote:

Hi all,
I am looking for a substitute for lettuce to use in salads, as I can't
digest lettuce very good anymore.

If the problem is digestive, I would guess any similar green leafy veg
would have a similar effect. You could sample spinach and perhaps some
of those 'mixed baby greens' available in supermarkets to test, before
going to the trouble of growing them. There are many types of salad
other than "tossed green."
Old 01-05-2005, 07:51 AM
omi

ronald wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,
I am looking for a substitute for lettuce to use in salads, as I can't
digest lettuce very good anymore. I have tried corn salad and couldn't
get it to grow or produce very much. Endive is too bitter.

Does anyone know of a good salad plant that produces well and has a
mild taste?

Malabar spinach might be a good choice if you garden in a warm climate.

Olin

Old 01-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Loki

il Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:37:09 GMT, John Savage wrote:

"ronald" writes:
I am looking for a substitute for lettuce to use in salads, as I can't
digest lettuce very good anymore. I have tried corn salad and couldn't
get it to grow or produce very much. Endive is too bitter.

Does anyone know of a good salad plant that produces well and has a
mild taste?

As others suggested, young spinach or silverbeet leaves would be a good
substitute. Maybe shredded cabbage, e.g., the small sugarloaf, or any
variety harvested young. Young dandelion leaves, nasturtium leaves, celery
leaves. Mustard or cress seedlings, or any sprouts: bean, pea, etc., though
I have heard that some of these (viz., alfalfa) should be stirfried and not
eaten raw otherwise much of its nutrient content is unavailable to our
digestive system. (Similar thing applies to tomatoes--the fruit, I mean.)

I use rocket a lot (rucola).
--
Cheers,

Old 05-05-2005, 01:35 AM
ronald

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have found something to try from Johnnyseeds.com, a "lettucy type"
Chinese cabbage. And also try the beet and chard leaves as I already
grow them but didn't realize they could be used as a salad.
Thanks
Ronald.

Old 29-05-2017, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Try dandelion leaves too
Old 30-05-2017, 11:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 05/29/2017 06:36 AM, wrote:
Try dandelion leaves too

Purslane (tastes like water cress) or radish sprouts perhaps?
Old 30-05-2017, 12:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/30/2017 5:01 AM, T wrote:
On 05/29/2017 06:36 AM, wrote:
Try dandelion leaves too

Purslane (tastes like water cress) or radish sprouts perhaps?

We use kale instead of lettuce a good bit of the time, makes good
sandwiches and salads.