Old 05-05-2005, 12:21 AM
NOLAguyXM

Default Meyers Lemons

I just bought a Meyers Lemon tree from Park Seed Company. I received a
2 year old tree in a one gallon pot. Although, the plant was in good
shape, the pot was crushed a little and would not stand on it's own. I
repotted in a 2 gallon pot immediately, using Miracle Grow potting
soil. The plant has a lot of beautiful white/purple flowers. I am
wondering, how often should I water? I see many different suggestions
on the web, so am a little confused. So far, I have bottom watered
every other day. But, now I'm hearing that maybe I should only water
once a week?? SHould I use any extra fertilizer along with the Miracle
Grow soil? Someone please help. Also, when should I expect to see
fruit? I live in Silver Spring, MD, so the plant is indoors for now.
I'm hoping to get it outdoors in the next couple of weeks for the
summer.

Thanks!
Jay

Old 05-05-2005, 02:25 AM
David

NOLAguyXM wrote:
[...]

Jay,

I'm not an expert on citrus, but I do have a few producing trees in my
yard. I've been told that citrus is a water as needed plant and we only
feel the need to water our established trees when we go through an
extended dry spell. My Duncan grapefruit is in a pot (I can't bear to
put it in the ground as we may be moving in the next couple of years)
and we water about twice a week.

As for fruit setting, if your flowers have been fertilized you should
start to see miniature fruit within a few weeks. Some of the fruit on
our Meyer is already an inch or more in diameter after fruiting late
Feb. / early March. We usually get ripe fruit from November through January.

Hope that helps.

David

Old 05-05-2005, 03:42 AM
NOLAguyXM

Thanks David!

I will begin watering a little less frequently, as that is what I'm
gathering from many sources. Also, I did notice tonight what looked to
be the beginnings of about 6 lemons, so I'll keep a close watch over
the next few weeks. Also, I noticed a few "thorns" from the main
branch, mostly just below clusters of flowers. Is this normal? Should
I prune these, or is this a sign of something wrong?

Jay

Old 05-05-2005, 10:47 PM
David

NOLAguyXM wrote:
Thanks David!

I will begin watering a little less frequently, as that is what I'm
gathering from many sources. Also, I did notice tonight what looked to
be the beginnings of about 6 lemons, so I'll keep a close watch over
the next few weeks. Also, I noticed a few "thorns" from the main
branch, mostly just below clusters of flowers. Is this normal? Should
I prune these, or is this a sign of something wrong?

Jay

Nothing wrong there - lemon trees have thorns (and they can puncture any
garden glove I've used, so be careful).

Good Luck,
David

Old 15-05-2005, 08:48 PM
NOLAguyXM

Most of the flowers have fallen, and I now have the beginnings of about
12 lemons. Looking good so far.

Jay

Old 15-05-2005, 09:40 PM
David

NOLAguyXM wrote:
Most of the flowers have fallen, and I now have the beginnings of about
12 lemons. Looking good so far.

Jay

Not bad for a first year!

Meyers Conservatory Ray B[_2_] Orchid Photos 0 12-09-2008 12:58 PM
Meyers Conservatory Ray B[_2_] Orchids 0 12-09-2008 12:58 PM
Looking for Ft.Meyers/Naples/Marco Growers to visit late Dec. News Orchids 3 28-11-2006 06:42 PM
Meyers Lemon NOLAguyXM Edible Gardening 5 02-10-2005 03:01 AM
Oranges and Lemons! Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 0 24-02-2003 10:28 PM