Old 05-05-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Tree debris for mulch?

We here in Ohio had a terrible ice storm before Christmas. Most of the
trees in the area had substantial damage. We are having our debris
ground up by a tree company. My question is can the ground up tree
debris be used as a mulch in my vegetable garden. The damaged trees
were different types of maples.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Dwayne

I have heard that composting Fresh tree debris (at least some kinds of
trees) will pull the nitrogen out of the soil. You may want to let it dry
out for a year or so before doing it. Maybe someone else has more
information on it and will respond.

Dwayne

oups.com...

Old 05-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Bill Moats

At a recent master gardener class there was a presentation that said that
tree chips, called "arborist chips", are an excellent mulch. Apparently the
chips do not draw nitrogen from the soil but bacteria/fungus work slowly on
the chips at the soil/chip interface.

Bill

"Dwayne" wrote in message
I have heard that composting Fresh tree debris (at least some kinds of
trees) will pull the nitrogen out of the soil. You may want to let it dry
out for a year or so before doing it. Maybe someone else has more
information on it and will respond.

Dwayne

oups.com...

Old 07-05-2005, 03:18 PM
JRYezierski

yes you casn use it in your veggie garden.
You may also want to spread some clean grass clippings(grass wasn't treating
with weed/grub killer) over a thin layer of the woods chips than add more
woodchips to the amount you want.
The wood chip mulch will break down over time.Come fall blend in more of
the clean grass clippings with the mulch when you put the garden to bed for
the winter.

Great gardening
oups.com...