Old 12-05-2005, 02:39 PM
1_Patriotic_Guy

Default Dealing with unwanted grass by Blackberries and Rasberries

Any and all advice welcome.

Three years ago I planted one grape, one rasberry, and one blackberry (small
bushes/vines) along 50 feet of fence at the rear of my yard. The grape and
rasberry have grown little / only slightly. The Blackberry has propogated
into some 30 plants via underground runners (so much so that I have moved 10
to my side fence).

The grass I once wanted along the back fence is now a nuisance. I have to
cut it by hand with scissors or small sheers because an electric weedeater
would also cut down the blackberry vines that produce delicous berries.

So what is best to give me a well groomed look but be low or no maintenance.
If I have to choose between the two on this particular subject, I prefer
low/no maintenance over well groomed. The area I am talking about is a 2
foot strip approximately 50 feet in length. Here are my thoughts so far.
1) I am willing to hand pull or dig the sod once (probably take me a while).
2) If I were to put down felt to prevent grass re-appearing I perceive I
will stop the blackberries which I love from further propogating. This
seems bad as the blackberry canes that produce must be cut to the ground
before winter/in fall, and new canes replace them via underground runners.
3) I could put down real or rubberized mulch but perceive the grass would
just spread/grow through in about a year (creating more work to clean up the
area if I used rubberized mulch). Regular mulch I could leave and add to
next year, but perceive the grass woud just start spreading and growing into
it in a year.
4) Round-up on the grass would likely kill or affect the blackberries.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

Andy

Old 12-05-2005, 04:32 PM
simy1

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
Any and all advice welcome.

Three years ago I planted one grape, one rasberry, and one blackberry

(small
bushes/vines) along 50 feet of fence at the rear of my yard. The

grape and
rasberry have grown little / only slightly. The Blackberry has

propogated
into some 30 plants via underground runners (so much so that I have

moved 10
to my side fence).

The grass I once wanted along the back fence is now a nuisance. I

have to
cut it by hand with scissors or small sheers because an electric

weedeater
would also cut down the blackberry vines that produce delicous

berries.

Here is what I have done with my raspberries.

1) install grass barrier, so you don't have to do the job again next
time. It is a plastic strip that goes mostly underground, and that you
can get at any garden center
2) get enough cardboard to cover the strip
3) place cardboard on strip. where a cane exists, cut cardboard with
scissors to accomodate cane
4) cover with wood chips
5) for the few weeds that make it through the cardboard, use roundup.
6) in a couple of years, the chips will become soil and accept weed
seeds. either add more chips or make the mulch more permanent in the
first place, and use gravel first time around.

Old 13-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Nicole H

mulch heavily around plants- use a thick bunch of newspaper, plastic, then
put wood chips, grass clippings, whatever on top

paint on round up to the unwanted grass-repeatedly
round up won't affect the berries unless sprayed directly on 'em.
if you paint it on (put round up in container and take a paint brush, foam
brush, whatever and dip and paint), you'll only get the grass. round up is
a very safe product.
et...

Old 17-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Dominic-Luc Webb

Hi-yield Grass Killer. I just sprayed two rows of peanuts and my
strawberries. It kills the grass but does not affect the other
plants. Only disadvantage is it does not kill weeds.

Rogerx

What is this, chemically and any info on ecological or health
properties?

Dominic-Luc Webb

Old 18-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Rogerx

On Thu, 12 May 2005 13:39:24 GMT, "1_Patriotic_Guy"
wrote:

[...]

Simple solution ! Use what is called a "Selective herbicide ". I use

Old 18-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Rogerx

On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:28:52 +0200, Dominic-Luc Webb
wrote:

Hi-yield Grass Killer. I just sprayed two rows of peanuts and my
strawberries. It kills the grass but does not affect the other
plants. Only disadvantage is it does not kill weeds.

Rogerx

What is this, chemically and any info on ecological or health
properties?

Dominic-Luc Webb

First, let me say, "I am not recommending this or any chemical". I
use this chemical, and like it. Further, I do not wish to engage in
any argument about the use of chemicals.

The chemical is: SETHOXYDIM.

There was a report published in California he
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_...35437#TopSites

Rogerx