Old 16-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Dominic-Luc Webb

Default tomatillos and hot peppars

I am curious about other people's experience with growing in
common home gardens the vegetables indicated above. I am near
Uppsala, Sweden, so conditions are not favorable.

I am hoping for tips on the use of bone and other sources of
Ca2+, for instance. My location is former tributary to the
Baltic Sea, and is basically entirely clay. The pH is a bit
acidic, around 5.5 to 6.0, as I am told from others.

If I treat the soil, can/should I treat this the same as for
hot peppars (Habanero, serano, jalapeno, etc), or do these
need something totally different?

For fertilizers, we have good access to horse maneur in hay,
which seems to work with other unrelated plants, onions, garlic,
pumpkins, etc.

I am mostly done building a greenhouse, but certainly welcome
pointers about optimal design.

Suitable web links, books, and your comments will be much
appreciated....

Dominic

Old 21-05-2005, 07:21 PM

You need sandy soil and hot days for these to really get going. I have
had very good crops of both, especially Habanero Peppers here in the
Mojave Desert of California, USA.

Ron C.
============================

Old 23-05-2005, 09:15 PM
neilselluski

"Dominic-Luc Webb" wrote in message

[...]

Free draining soil. Lots of sun and heat. Not too much nitrogen or you wont
get many fruit
Also dont forget for tomatillo's, grow at least two. One will not fertilize
itself!!
A google search should give you a ton of info.

Old 24-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Dominic-Luc Webb

Free draining soil. Lots of sun and heat. Not too much nitrogen or you wont
get many fruit
Also dont forget for tomatillo's, grow at least two. One will not fertilize
itself!!
A google search should give you a ton of info.

Google: Less than you would think. I did find this group. Thanks
for your thoughts. The need for multiple plants is new to me, but
I planned for many plants, just in case. I think I am going to
manage well with an orange variant and another rather large green
variant. I have (had anyway) purple, but these appear to have
all died very early during sprouting.

Dominic

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
tomatillos and first frost Dominic-Luc Webb Edible Gardening 0 12-09-2005 08:30 AM
Container size for chilis and tomatillos Stan Goodman Edible Gardening 2 27-05-2004 08:10 PM
Tomatillos and other growing tomatoes... Cindy Huffman North Carolina 2 13-08-2003 02:12 PM