Old 17-05-2005, 04:22 AM
Walt Brothers

Default Artichoke

I live in the Mojave desert in California (I don't know what zone it is). My
question is, since the area I live in freezes in the winter, can I grow
artichokes here? Will they make it through the winter or will they die on
me?

Old 17-05-2005, 10:26 PM
extincted

Walt Brothers wrote:
I live in the Mojave desert in California (I don't know what zone it is). My
question is, since the area I live in freezes in the winter, can I grow
artichokes here? Will they make it through the winter or will they die on
me?

Minimum temperature is 8 Celsius centigrades
Old 18-05-2005, 04:16 AM
simy1

I can't think of a worse place for artichokes. It freezes, and it is a
desert. They need water, and mild temperatures. Grow okra or watermelon
instead.

Old 18-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Nicole H

Mojave Desert USDA zone 8, Sunset Zone 11
I'm in Kern County (valley; USDA zone 9; Sunset Zone 9ish) and we can grow
artichokes here.
UC Davis's Master Gardener book is awesome. A lot of it is available online
free.
Here's some info for artichokes; scroll down to home garden
http://vric.ucdavis.edu/selectnewcrop.artichoke.htm

Here's a site that you'll find very useful for all your gardening needs
http://vric.ucdavis.edu/
www.sunset.com is another helpful site

Nicole
"Walt Brothers" wrote in message
I live in the Mojave desert in California (I don't know what zone it is).

My
question is, since the area I live in freezes in the winter, can I grow
artichokes here? Will they make it through the winter or will they die on
me?

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000

Newsgroups

Old 19-05-2005, 08:15 PM
extincted

extincted wrote:
Walt Brothers wrote:

I live in the Mojave desert in California (I don't know what zone it
is). My question is, since the area I live in freezes in the winter,
can I grow artichokes here? Will they make it through the winter or
will they die on me?

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups

Minimum temperature is 8 Celsius centigrades

correction - minus 8

Old 19-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Loki

il Mon, 16 May 2005 20:22:00 -0700, "Walt Brothers" wrote:

I live in the Mojave desert in California (I don't know what zone it is). My
question is, since the area I live in freezes in the winter, can I grow
artichokes here? Will they make it through the winter or will they die on
me?

Mine handled winter frosts. They do die back but regenerate each year
I've found. Then after a while it is suggested they get replaced.
--
Cheers,

Old 20-05-2005, 12:49 PM

I've grown artichokes in the UK, and they have had frosts and snow
during winter. They survived fine - they look a bit droopy and sad in
the cold weather, but they come back to life OK when things warm up.

I think as long as the cold weather isn't really severe, and really
prolonged, they will be OK.

Howard

Old 21-05-2005, 07:31 PM

Where in the Mojave Desert do you live? the weather is different every
ten feet or so, , , A friend of mine grew great atichokes in his
garden on a slope facing north. The nights here are in the 50's and
the days right now are at or below 100 degrees,
(mid to high 90's) We live in Ridgecrest. ca.

Ron C.