Old 24-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Ed

Default immature grapes are disappearing

I have a robust (table) grape plant, but something is picking
off the immature grapes as they first bud. I had ants walking
on the plant up to a few weeks ago before the buds emerged.
I killed them off with ant baits located on the plant and
on the ground. The only pest I've seen now is a couple of
bound-up leaves with caterpillars inside. I've been able to
kill all of them - there were probably only ten so far.
Occasionally, I see some wasps flying around. Any help is
appreciated.

Ed
Old 24-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Steve

Ed wrote:
I have a robust (table) grape plant, but something is picking
off the immature grapes as they first bud. I had ants walking
on the plant up to a few weeks ago before the buds emerged.
I killed them off with ant baits located on the plant and
on the ground. The only pest I've seen now is a couple of
bound-up leaves with caterpillars inside. I've been able to
kill all of them - there were probably only ten so far.
Occasionally, I see some wasps flying around. Any help is
appreciated.

Ed

It's normal for the small grapes that came from flowers that didn't get
pollinated to fall off. On mine, some of the tiny grapes fall off the
cluster leaving most of them to continue on. Could this fit what you are
seeing?

Steve
Old 24-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Ed

I guess what you're saying is possible. I'm still not sure
if they're at the stage you mention. They are still really
small, maybe 2 to 3 millimeters across, definitely pre-flower
stage since they've just started forming. Thanks.

Old 25-05-2005, 05:12 AM
Steve

Two to 3 millimeters sounds about right but.... but.... pre-flower
stage? Do you mean to say that it's not really grapes falling off but
flower buds?
I just went back to your original post to try to make sense of this. Are
you talking about the tiny buds that would turn into the entire cluster
of grapes and not just a single grape?
I bet that's it and I don't know what is going on. I can't think of
anything that would eat them but not the new leaves. Maybe a
neighborhood birds has developed a taste for those buds?

Steve

Old 25-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Ed

Yes, it is the little buds. Last year, the surviving buds
did turn into grape clusters, but the percentage left was
quite low because of this [it was the first fruiting year for
this plant so I didn't question it - and there were the ants
and an occasional snail]. I'm wondering how growers [can]
deal with this. Hopefully, before it's too late, I'll get a
chance to visit one to find out what they know. I'll follow
up if and when I learn more.

Ed

Old 27-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Ed

It turns out the culprit is a moth that's larvae destroy
the grape buds. Physically have to remove them and look
for more [supposedly destroy that infested plant]. If
anyone knows of a good moth/larvae killer safe or easily
washable, please let me know.

Ed
Old 27-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Katra

http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/mbcn/fea207.html
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 28-05-2005, 12:17 AM
Ed

Thanks Katra.

Old 28-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Katra

In article , Ed wrote:

Thanks Katra.

Katra wrote:

http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/mbcn/fea207.html

Welcome! :-)
I've had issues with cabbage worms and am fixin' to try some bacillus
treatments here.