GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When do I thin onions? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/95070-when-do-i-thin-onions.html)

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com 31-05-2005 02:19 PM

When do I thin onions?

Arg...all my seed packets got thrown away.

I planted a row of onions, and I was wondering how big they should be
before I thin them. The sprouts are only about 1/2" right now.

GA Pinhead 31-05-2005 07:10 PM

Depending on close they are and what kind they are, wait until they get
pencil width, then you can eat them.

John!

Boboed 31-05-2005 07:28 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 13:19:36 GMT,
" wrote:

Arg...all my seed packets got thrown away.

I planted a row of onions, and I was wondering how big they should be
before I thin them. The sprouts are only about 1/2" right now.

Unless they're really tight I pull them when they're big enough for
green onions.

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com 01-06-2005 05:44 PM

Unless they're really tight I pull them when they're big enough for
green onions.

Okay...thanks. I sowed them in a continuous row, knowing that I'd be
thinning them. So they're coming up like grass. :)