Old 31-05-2005, 06:30 PM
zxcvbob

Default First harvest from the garden

I thinned half the row of Tyfon greens yesterday. Tyfon is a hybrid
cross between a turnip and chinese cabbage. I've never grown it before.
The thinned plants should get huge, like swiss chard or bigger.

I trimmed off and discarded the roots (not much of a root to it at all),
rinsed a couple of times, chopped and cooked them in a covered put with
a bit of water and salt. They taste like turnip greens -- which I don't
really like -- but they are milder. I ate a few bites and I put the
rest in the fridge to eat later, sprinkled with some pickled pepper juice.

It felt good to harvest something, especially after the cold, wet, and
late spring we've had up here.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 31-05-2005, 09:58 PM
George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
I thinned half the row of Tyfon greens yesterday. Tyfon is a hybrid
cross between a turnip and chinese cabbage. I've never grown it before.
The thinned plants should get huge, like swiss chard or bigger.

I trimmed off and discarded the roots (not much of a root to it at all),
rinsed a couple of times, chopped and cooked them in a covered put with
a bit of water and salt. They taste like turnip greens -- which I don't
really like -- but they are milder. I ate a few bites and I put the
rest in the fridge to eat later, sprinkled with some pickled pepper juice.

It felt good to harvest something, especially after the cold, wet, and
late spring we've had up here.

Best regards,
Bob

What kind of a "put" did you use to cook them nasty things? Curious
minds and all of that. Come on down here and you can pick the green
beans and the zukes for me. Plus I've got to pick up all the peaches
that the squirrels dropped around the yard and in the rain gutters. You
know which ones, the best, ripest peaches, each with one bite taken out
of it. VBG

I'm glad it finally got warm enough up there in Southern Canada for you
Minnesotans to finally get something to grow besides icicles.

George

First Harvest mj North Carolina 8 02-07-2012 11:11 PM
First Harvest No Name United Kingdom 11 19-06-2012 10:22 AM
First Harvest! No Name United Kingdom 16 17-06-2010 11:12 PM
First frost and harvest David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 1 14-05-2010 07:43 PM
Worms - my first "harvest" of castings Cheryl Isaak Gardening 0 22-05-2007 01:56 PM