Old 02-06-2005, 02:51 AM
~patches~

Default Help - Unidentified Insect

I posted a message on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens regarding an
unidentified insect. I was hoping someone could help me identify this
insect and to see if it is beneficial or harmful. My garden is swarming
with them. Any help would be really appreciated. TIA
Mesage ID:

Old 02-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Dominic-Luc Webb

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, ~patches~ wrote:

I posted a message on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens regarding an
unidentified insect. I was hoping someone could help me identify this
insect and to see if it is beneficial or harmful. My garden is swarming
with them. Any help would be really appreciated. TIA

Many of us cannot access alt.binaries.x.x because of fighting amongst
ignorant government officials, IT workers, etc (I am in a large
academic institution in Sweden and cannot access this). I would
like to try and identify this beast. Please send me the picture and
I'll see if I can at least place it into the correct insect family.

Dominic-Luc Webb

Old 02-06-2005, 07:30 AM
Dominic-Luc Webb

Also, regarding the unknown beast, whenever providing a picture,
we can all benefit from some foresight in how such pictures are
taken. Good lighting to get clear idea of colors, a marker of some
kind (ruler, etc) to indicate size and any other salient features
(eyes, antenae, wings, etc) can be very helpful and might save time
and confusion. This is no reflection on your pictures, TIA, since I
have not seen them yet. If you feel you already have good picture,
don't worry.

It might also help to get some idea what these bugs are eating and
any plants or other organic materials they congragate around or
tend to avoid.

Dominic-Luc Webb

Old 02-06-2005, 05:17 PM
~patches~

Dominic-Luc Webb wrote:

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, ~patches~ wrote:

I posted a message on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens regarding an
unidentified insect. I was hoping someone could help me identify this
insect and to see if it is beneficial or harmful. My garden is swarming
with them. Any help would be really appreciated. TIA

The bug has been identified. It is an box elder bug. Apparently it is
harmless but can be an annoyance indoors. Thanks for your help.