GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   My basil plants look funny (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/95682-my-basil-plants-look-funny.html)

[email protected] 10-06-2005 11:15 PM

My basil plants look funny

Normally I plant lemon or sweet basil. The store didn't have any, so
this year I planted some other variety. A bunch of plants popped up,
but their leaves look a bit like oak leaves, with jagged edges, and
some have already started flowering here in NY even though it's only
June.

Is this basil? Or did some weed sneak in? It's new dirt from the
store, but anything's possible.

Also, if anybody knows a website with pictures of different basil
leaves, that would help.

Thanks!

Penelope Periwinkle 11-06-2005 02:05 AM

On 10 Jun 2005 15:15:02 -0700, wrote:

Normally I plant lemon or sweet basil. The store didn't have any, so
this year I planted some other variety. A bunch of plants popped up,
but their leaves look a bit like oak leaves, with jagged edges, and
some have already started flowering here in NY even though it's only
June.

Haven't y'all had a heat wave up there? That might be stimulating
the basil to bloom.

It's still raining here in South Carolina. sigh

Is this basil? Or did some weed sneak in? It's new dirt from the
store, but anything's possible.

Also, if anybody knows a website with pictures of different basil
leaves, that would help.

Google is your friend....

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/...?Ocim_bas.html

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"

The Cook 13-06-2005 12:07 PM

wrote:

Normally I plant lemon or sweet basil. The store didn't have any, so
this year I planted some other variety. A bunch of plants popped up,
but their leaves look a bit like oak leaves, with jagged edges, and
some have already started flowering here in NY even though it's only
June.

Is this basil? Or did some weed sneak in? It's new dirt from the
store, but anything's possible.

Also, if anybody knows a website with pictures of different basil
leaves, that would help.

Thanks!

Does it smell and taste like basil? If so, you have a variety of
basil.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."