Old 14-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas
Default Hazelnuts in the South

Hi!! I live in Arkansas where the weather is pretty hot in the summer.
We also have a high content of clay in our soil and we have a high water table. From what I have read these conditions are hard on growing Hazelnut bushes.
Does anyone in here grown Hazelnuts in the south?? I need advice on how I can grow them here. I have planted them and they just up and died. This year I planted 5 of them and only 2 sprouted. Any ideas??
Old 15-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Rogerx

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:14:13 +0000, Maryc
wrote:

Hi!! I live in Arkansas where the weather is pretty hot in the summer.
We also have a high content of clay in our soil and we have a high
water table. From what I have read these conditions are hard on growing
Hazelnut bushes.
Does anyone in here grown Hazelnuts in the south?? I need advice on how
I can grow them here. I have planted them and they just up and died.
This year I planted 5 of them and only 2 sprouted. Any ideas??

Hi Maryc! Yes, hazelnuts will grow great in Arkansas, or at least in
Johnson County, AR.

As a young boy I living in rural AR, I walked to catch the school bus
and there was a fence that ran beside the road. There were dozens of
hazelnut bushes along one stretch, I remember what a treat it was in
the fall, when the shuck of the hazelnut would turn brown and open.

I don't know where they came from, if they were native, or someone
planted them there, I do not recall anyone bringing up the subject.

I don't know about hazelnuts but many seeds require a cold period
before they will sprout. Try putting some in the freezer for about a
month, then try sprouting them

Sorry I could not be of more help- -Rogerx
Old 15-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

Thanks so much for the information. It gives me hope. I did find a supplier online for them. It is a Hazelnut research company. I'm going to order more fot this spring. They sell the plants already sprouted. they call them tublings. The ones I planted before were in dormant stage and they never came out of it.
Thanks again!!

Old 15-06-2005, 10:16 PM
zxcvbob

Maryc wrote:
-

[...]

Where I grew up in East Texas, there were a few small wild nut trees;
I'm not sure if they were small hazelnuts or a type of chestnut -- I
think they were called chinquapins.

Bob
Old 16-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Rogerx

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:16:11 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Maryc wrote:
-

[...]

Hi Bob, Your are right about the chinquapins, they were North American
Chestnuts. Unlike the hazelnut, their shuck had spines. During the
time period I was talking about (60+) years ago, Chinquapins thrived
in Arkansas too, however, a disease killed all of the known trees in
this part of Arkansas and I understand it also destroyed most of the
trees in the south and southwest.

Have a good day, Rogerx

Old 17-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

I also have Chestnut trees in my yard but they are the variety that are not affected by the diseases. We have already harvested a few of them. My Husband loves them and he roasts them in the microwave in a towel because they blow up and make a powder if they are not in the towel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerx
wrote:

-

Old 21-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

Thanks Joyce!!

I have two of them that are growing. I am going to order more for this next spring brom Baggersett. They are the ones that do the research on Hazelnuts and Chestnuts. I think I may have more luck with their plants so I'm going to try.

Hazelnuts (when to harvest?) Bob G0KYF United Kingdom 4 23-08-2014 09:10 AM
HazelNuts? Connor T United Kingdom 4 10-09-2005 05:58 PM
hazelnuts Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 7 20-01-2005 10:03 AM
Hazelnuts abner Gardening 1 06-09-2004 08:43 PM
hazelnuts form seed sasha United Kingdom 0 02-09-2004 01:08 AM