Old 15-06-2005, 03:19 PM
The Cook

Default Here come de squash!!

Just picked 8 eight ball zucchini, two regular green zukes and two
yellow ones. Also picked two patty pan. There are just two of us.
Guess it is time to start preserving the stuff. Think I will dry some
slices. A few years ago I dried squash, eggplant and tomatoes. Took
some with me when I went to stay with a relative for a while. Made
ratatouille by soaking the veggies, using some of the liquid and
adding some canned tomatoes.

Any other ideas?

Some of my summer squash plants are about 3 feet tall and leaves 16"
across. The winter squash look like they want to take over the whole
garden.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 15-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Just picked 8 eight ball zucchini, two regular green zukes and two
yellow ones. Also picked two patty pan. There are just two of us.
Guess it is time to start preserving the stuff. Think I will dry some
slices. A few years ago I dried squash, eggplant and tomatoes. Took
some with me when I went to stay with a relative for a while. Made
ratatouille by soaking the veggies, using some of the liquid and
adding some canned tomatoes.

Any other ideas?

Some of my summer squash plants are about 3 feet tall and leaves 16"
across. The winter squash look like they want to take over the whole
garden.

Lucky child. I can grow most things but am a complete failure with any
sort of squash. I currently have three different zucchini plants. All
are covered with male blossoms. Not a female in sight. This had been
proceeded by wild blooming of only female blossoms which died well
before the male ones made their entrance. Happens every time. No
squash. sigh.

marcella
Old 15-06-2005, 03:56 PM
The Cook

Marcella Peek wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

[...]

Somewhere I saw it suggested that you go ahead and cut off the female
blossoms if the males have not appeared. It is supposed to encourage
the males to appear. I did that with some and used the tiny squash in
salad. Now I seem to have both and the bees have found the patch.

Now I just keep my fingers crossed that the squash vine borers do not
find the plants, at least until I am entirely fed up with squash.

Old 15-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Ottawa

I am a little baffled at my zucchinis as well. This is my first try at it.
I see a bunch of flower buds but none are opening. They have been there for
about a week or 2 now.

"The Cook" wrote in message

Old 15-06-2005, 09:36 PM
nina

Marcella Peek wrote:
In article ,
The Cook wrote:

[...]

Stagger the planting so that when the male blossoms appear on the older
plants, the newer ones will have female blossoms?

Old 16-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

I cut the Zucchini longways and make Zucchini Lasagna. THe zucchini is in place of the Lasagna noodles. I also sliced my pattypan and put breading on them and deep fried them they were nice and crispy. I also made fake fried potatoes with the patypan and it was pretty good too.
Just a few ideas!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook

Old 16-06-2005, 02:32 AM
David

Ottawa wrote:
I am a little baffled at my zucchinis as well. This is my first try at it.
I see a bunch of flower buds but none are opening. They have been there for
about a week or 2 now.

"The Cook" wrote in message

Marcella Peek wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

[...]

I tried growing a couple of variety of Japanese kabocha this year. They
started out great, had maybe a dozen or so small squash on 8 plants.
Then they got hit by powdery mildew. I fought that for a couple weeks
and thought I had the upperhand when we got five straight days of heavy
rain. By the next weekend the plants were all dead. Having never grown
any squash other than zukes and crook necks, I'm not sure what I could
have done. Is powdery mildew a common problem for winter squash? Any
other suggestions for next season?

Thanks,
David

Old 16-06-2005, 03:35 AM
GA Pinhead

Sliced thick, marinate in olive oil and seasonings for a bit, and grill
or saute lightly in cast iron. MMMM!

John!