Old 16-06-2005, 07:58 PM

Default how can you tell when tomatillos are ripe?

and what do you do with them when they are?

thanks.

Old 17-06-2005, 06:30 AM
Dana Schultz

If I recall.....they turn slightly yellow when ripe. And you eat them. Just
pop them into your mouth minus the outer papery shell. They are very
delicious.

--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid
oups.com...

Old 17-06-2005, 04:01 PM
RR

"Dana Schultz" wrote:

If I recall.....they turn slightly yellow when ripe. And you eat them. Just
pop them into your mouth minus the outer papery shell. They are very
delicious.

That, my sweet, is strictly a matter of opinion!
Don't know if I succeeded or not but, I've tried to eradicate all the
volunteers from our garden.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º17'15" North
80º13'32" West
To email, remove the obvious from my address.
Old 17-06-2005, 04:36 PM
RR

" wrote:

and what do you do with them when they are?

thanks.

The fruit grows to about 2" inside a papery husk. Harvest when the
tomatillo is just turning yellow. They will be hard.
They are a required ingredient when making a true salsa verde.
Also, they must be an acquired taste and, it's one that I have not yet
acquired.
There is also a variety known as Pineapple Tomatillo which we got from
Pinetree Seeds several years ago. From Pinetree's catalogue:
"It really tastes like a pineapple! The large spreading plants are 3'
across and covered with hundreds of fruit that are quite different
from other tomatillos. They are only about 3/4" in diameter and soft
so they are great for eating fresh. They tend to fall from the plant
when ripe. Great for preserves and pies".
BTW, these are the ones that Dana likes ;-).