Old 26-06-2005, 02:59 AM
john

Default pesky pepper problems

This is my first attempt germinating and growing red bell peppers, and
jalepinos. Some are in pots, some in the ground. They have been going
for 80 days now, and no fruit yet. Some have flowered, but they have
been dropping those.

Do I keep waiting? Am I just wasting time and water here?

Old 26-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Sue

On 25 Jun 2005 18:59:16 -0700, "john"
wrote:

This is my first attempt germinating and growing red bell peppers, and
jalepinos. Some are in pots, some in the ground. They have been going
for 80 days now, and no fruit yet. Some have flowered, but they have
been dropping those.

I've grown green bells in the past, but this is my first year trying
red and yellow bells. I have lots of peppers, but they're all green -
so far. My problem is that I didn't label them and don't remember
which are which. So, I don't know which I can pick now and which
should sit on the plant waiting to turn color. There is *no* hint of
color (other than green, of course) on any of them.

Do I keep waiting? Am I just wasting time and water here?

I'm so ignorant (obviously) of gardening that I can't help you, but
I'm sure someone here can.
Sue

Old 26-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Dusty Bleher

wrote:

This is my first attempt germinating and growing red bell peppers, and
jalepinos. Some are in pots, some in the ground. They have been going
for 80 days now, and no fruit yet. Some have flowered, but they have
been dropping those.

I think you're fighting a number of different issues. First, you're new at
this (we all were, once--don't despair), so it seems doubly confusing. At
its simplest, "Bells" and "Jalapenos", if possibly alike in color, are
different in shape. So you should be able to distinguish them on that
alone. The 'jalapenos' are usually sort of banana shaped; and tend to be
narrow and around 2-inches long.

I've grown green bells in the past, but this is my first year trying
red and yellow bells. I have lots of peppers, but they're all green -
so far. My problem is that I didn't label them and don't remember
which are which. So, I don't know which I can pick now and which
should sit on the plant waiting to turn color. There is *no* hint of
color (other than green, of course) on any of them.

As for the difference between red & yellow bells, while they begin life
green, they should begin to 'color up' as they reach maturity. Remember,
it's always possible that you got a miss-marked set of seeds or seedlings.
In any event, both are good eating, so just enjoy what you get...(:-o)!

I'm so ignorant (obviously) of gardening that I can't help you, but

No, you're not ignorant at all! It just takes some time to learn all of the
minutia. Persevere and I'm certain that you'll get to your goals. In any
event, as I'd mentioned previously, both taste great...so enjoy whatcha
get...besides, a pepper doesn't have to be mature to be eaten...

Oh yeah, one other point, for "johnoceanusacr": Beware when picking and
eating Jalapenos from plants that are side-by-side. I've seen the "flavor"
vary from 'bell-pepper like' to 4-alarm! So pay attention!

Dusty

I'm sure someone here can.
Sue

Old 26-06-2005, 04:45 PM
The Cook

"john" wrote:

This is my first attempt germinating and growing red bell peppers, and
jalepinos. Some are in pots, some in the ground. They have been going
for 80 days now, and no fruit yet. Some have flowered, but they have
been dropping those.

Do I keep waiting? Am I just wasting time and water here?

According to one of the books I have the best air temperature for
growing are Day, 65°F to 85°F; night, 60°F to 75°F. If your
temperatures are substantially above or below those temperatures they
probably will not set well.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 26-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:07:49 GMT, Sue
wrote:

I've grown green bells in the past, but this is my first year trying
red and yellow bells. I have lots of peppers, but they're all green -
so far. My problem is that I didn't label them and don't remember
which are which. So, I don't know which I can pick now and which
should sit on the plant waiting to turn color. There is *no* hint of
color (other than green, of course) on any of them.

Green bell peppers are just unripe red, yellow, orange, etc
peppers. If you had left the peppers you grew in the past on the
plant, they would have ripened up just like the ones you're
growing right now.

Ripe (red, yellow, etc.) bell peppers in grocery stores are more
expensive than the greens because it takes longer to grown them,
more things can go wrong during the ripening process, and their
shelf life is shorter than unripe bell peppers.

The uncivilized nature of eating unripe peppers when one has a
choice of letting them ripen is a rant...er discussion for
another time.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Old 26-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Sue

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:45:24 -0400, The Cook
wrote:

"john" wrote:

This is my first attempt germinating and growing red bell peppers, and
jalepinos. Some are in pots, some in the ground. They have been going
for 80 days now, and no fruit yet. Some have flowered, but they have
been dropping those.

Do I keep waiting? Am I just wasting time and water here?

According to one of the books I have the best air temperature for
growing are Day, 65°F to 85°F; night, 60°F to 75°F. If your
temperatures are substantially above or below those temperatures they
probably will not set well.

Most of my peppers are doing well despite temps higher than 85.
However, two of them (no idea which colors those might be, but they're
the same) are having the same trouble as John's. Thanks for giving me
a possibility as to why.

Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

Similar to H. G. Wells - "Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
Sue

Old 26-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:27:29 -0700, "Dusty Bleher"
wrote:

Oh yeah, one other point, for "johnoceanusacr": Beware when picking and
eating Jalapenos from plants that are side-by-side. I've seen the "flavor"
vary from 'bell-pepper like' to 4-alarm! So pay attention!

Two things can affect the heat of a chili pepper. One is variety,
there are numerous varieties of jalapenos. There is one, False
Alarm Hybrid, I think, that has no heat. They can vary from mild
all the way up to Craig's Triple Hot, which is supposed to be the
hottest jalapeno. ( I haven't grown it, so I really don't know)

If all the jalapeno plants are of one variety, temperature or
water fluctuations can affect the heat of the fruit. Generally
speaking, if you stress a chili, it will produce hotter fruit.
Hotter temperatures or letting the plant almost wilt before
watering will heat the fruit right up.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 26-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Sue

wrote:

I've grown green bells in the past, but this is my first year trying
red and yellow bells. I have lots of peppers, but they're all green -
so far. My problem is that I didn't label them and don't remember
which are which. So, I don't know which I can pick now and which
should sit on the plant waiting to turn color. There is *no* hint of
color (other than green, of course) on any of them.

Green bell peppers are just unripe red, yellow, orange, etc
peppers.

Are you saying that they are the same plant? Why do they sell them as
separate plants?

If you had left the peppers you grew in the past on the
plant, they would have ripened up just like the ones you're
growing right now.

I've never had this happen with the greens I've grown in the past. If
I didn't pick them, they didn't change color, they just went bad.

Ripe (red, yellow, etc.) bell peppers in grocery stores are more
expensive than the greens because it takes longer to grown them,
more things can go wrong during the ripening process, and their
shelf life is shorter than unripe bell peppers.

That makes sense.

Old 26-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

wrote:

This is my first attempt germinating and growing red bell peppers, and
jalepinos. Some are in pots, some in the ground. They have been going
for 80 days now, and no fruit yet. Some have flowered, but they have
been dropping those.

What do you mean by "going"? Were they seeded 80 days ago, or
transplanted? The number of days given on a seed package is
usually an ripe fruit can be expected under optimal growing
conditions.

What is your zone, and what have the temperatures been like
there? Are you fertilizing, how much and how often? How often are
you watering? All these things can have an impact on how soon
your plants will fruit.

My garden is running about a month behind what it was this time
last year, and when I was chatting with the folks at my favorite
organic gardening store, they said their's were about a month
behind, too. Spring was just too cool around here. The ag
extension agent said he was getting a lot of reports of early
blight, too. It's not shaping up to be a very good gardening
year.

Do I keep waiting? Am I just wasting time and water here?

Patience is a virtue. Peppers can keep producing right up to the
first hard frost; unless you're in an area with a very short
season, there's still time.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"
Old 26-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Dusty Bleher

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message
Two things can affect the heat of a chili pepper. One is variety,

That I knew.

If all the jalapeno plants are of one variety, temperature or
water fluctuations can affect the heat of the fruit. Generally
speaking, if you stress a chili, it will produce hotter fruit.
Hotter temperatures or letting the plant almost wilt before
watering will heat the fruit right up.

Now *that* I didn't know. Thanks for the tip, Penelope!

Dusty

Old 26-06-2005, 06:40 PM
john

By "going" I meant they sprouted 80 days ago (actually 85 days now).

I'm in zone 7b, and yes it was a cold spring here. I think I'm
watering enough. I have fertilized once with some stuff I had left
over from tomatoes.

All the seeds are from last year store-bought produce.

I have read this is a common problem with peppers (the fruit not
setting because of weather conditions). My question is whether the
plants will ever recover and eventually start producing. Besides the
fruit problem, the plants are robust.

Thanks
John

Old 26-06-2005, 07:23 PM
The Cook

"john" wrote:

By "going" I meant they sprouted 80 days ago (actually 85 days now).

I'm in zone 7b, and yes it was a cold spring here. I think I'm
watering enough. I have fertilized once with some stuff I had left
over from tomatoes.

All the seeds are from last year store-bought produce.

I have read this is a common problem with peppers (the fruit not
setting because of weather conditions). My question is whether the
plants will ever recover and eventually start producing. Besides the
fruit problem, the plants are robust.

Thanks
John

The Ferry Morse pepper package says 75 to 80 days to harvest. That is
from the plant out date. So you set out the plants about 60 days ago?
Just be patient. That is the hardest part of gardening.

Old 26-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 26 Jun 2005 10:40:31 -0700, "john"
wrote:

By "going" I meant they sprouted 80 days ago (actually 85 days now).

I'm in zone 7b, and yes it was a cold spring here. I think I'm
watering enough. I have fertilized once with some stuff I had left
over from tomatoes.

I think I'd fertilize with a tomato or pepper fertilizer again.
As a matter of fact, I just put out Tomato Tone on all my peppers
and tomatoes this week. I do it about every two weeks during the
growing season. They'd produce without it, but the production is
heavier with a little help.

All the seeds are from last year store-bought produce.

You know about seeds from hybrids, right?

I have read this is a common problem with peppers (the fruit not
setting because of weather conditions). My question is whether the
plants will ever recover and eventually start producing. Besides the
fruit problem, the plants are robust.

Sure. Your first frost isn't until, what? November? That's plenty
of time, and most peppers go crazy putting out peppers in late
summer/early fall.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 26-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

wrote:

I've grown green bells in the past, but this is my first year trying
red and yellow bells. I have lots of peppers, but they're all green -
so far. My problem is that I didn't label them and don't remember
which are which. So, I don't know which I can pick now and which
should sit on the plant waiting to turn color. There is *no* hint of
color (other than green, of course) on any of them.

Green bell peppers are just unripe red, yellow, orange, etc
peppers.

Are you saying that they are the same plant? Why do they sell them as
separate plants?

Where do they sell them as separate plants? I rarely buy pepper
plants locally, I like more exotic varieties, so I don't know how
they're pitching peppers now.

If you had left the peppers you grew in the past on the
plant, they would have ripened up just like the ones you're
growing right now.

I've never had this happen with the greens I've grown in the past. If
I didn't pick them, they didn't change color, they just went bad.

They were bell peppers, correct? Unless there is a variety that I
am unaware of, and with the vast number of varieties available
these days that's entirely possible, all green bell peppers are
unripe colored bells. How did yours go bad?

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 26-06-2005, 10:48 PM
Sue

wrote:

I've grown green bells in the past, but this is my first year trying
red and yellow bells. I have lots of peppers, but they're all green -
so far. My problem is that I didn't label them and don't remember
which are which. So, I don't know which I can pick now and which
should sit on the plant waiting to turn color. There is *no* hint of
color (other than green, of course) on any of them.

Green bell peppers are just unripe red, yellow, orange, etc
peppers.

Are you saying that they are the same plant? Why do they sell them as
separate plants?

Where do they sell them as separate plants?

Wal*Mart. In the little individual plastic containers. Some are
labeled green, some red, some yellow with pictures on the plastic info
thingy. I found one thingy that didn't make it into the trash. It
says, 'Yellow Bell' Pepper. The maturity is 60-70 days, but I don't
remember when I planted them and have no idea which ones of the plants
are this kind. (Live and learn.)

I rarely buy pepper
plants locally, I like more exotic varieties, so I don't know how
they're pitching peppers now.

If you had left the peppers you grew in the past on the
plant, they would have ripened up just like the ones you're
growing right now.

I've never had this happen with the greens I've grown in the past. If
I didn't pick them, they didn't change color, they just went bad.

They were bell peppers, correct?

Yep.

Unless there is a variety that I
am unaware of, and with the vast number of varieties available
these days that's entirely possible, all green bell peppers are
unripe colored bells. How did yours go bad?

Possibly from sunburn. IIRC (but I'm old and memory impaired)
sections turned whitish and then soft and brown.
I have a total of 6 plants - 2 red, 2 yellow and 2 green. Four are
producing quite well, but the other two aren't. They are both much
taller than the other four. Rangy rather than bushy.
Sue

Penelope

Pepper Pepper who's got the Pepper? Dan L. Gardening 2 04-04-2007 07:32 PM
Question about pesky insects and a beginner to Bonsai Dave C Bonsai 2 20-05-2005 03:20 PM
[IBC] Question about pesky insects and a beginner to Bonsai Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 20-05-2005 11:10 AM
Pesky Lawn Weeds JeffLaw Gardening 67 06-03-2004 04:22 AM
Lawn weed.Pesky!! Peter H Lawns 6 22-07-2003 06:33 AM