Old 26-06-2005, 10:30 AM
editor_gourdvine

Default Did someone mention... Gourds?

Hi there!

I see that Google has it's Groups thing going (Beta), so I figured I'd
see if anyone had started a Gourd Group. Apparently not.. yet. But a
search brought up this group and others, and so I thought I'd introduce
myself.

I'm Vince, and in late 2002 I began a full-color print magazine called
Through The Gourdvine, dedicated to the hard-shelled gourd (any
variety) and those that follow it: growers, carvers, painters,
crafters, artists, musicians, etc. It doesn't take long to see that
these odd 'creatures' lend themselves to a very wide variety of
creative expressions.

While gourds aren't generally grown for eating, there are varieties of
them that are edible, especially those grown in SE Asia. Nothing would
stop us from publishing a gourd recipe in the future!

While we were able to publish three issues before having to pause in
2003, we did attract a pretty decent following, almost 1500
subscribers. Most of those are in the US (California with the largest
contingent, followed by Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, and all
points inbetween), while others found us from Canada, Australia, New
Zealand and even a couple of people stationed in the military in
Okinawa, Japan.

There is a new plan to revive the magazine, and I am looking to
'recruit' 5000 folks in total, with no financial obligation to anyone.
The basic idea is this: raise the names, and then seek out the
advertisers and finances to get the next issue going. From there, those
that signed up have the option of deciding whether to subscribe
'officially' at a rate of $20 a year (4 issues).

To learn more, and to see what we published in the past, please visit
our website at: www.throughthegourdvine.com

Not only will you be adding to a list that will potentially bring the
magazine back to life, you'll enter into a whole new world of crafting
that is attracting new people every day.

Since it's June 26 right now, it's worth mentioning that one of the
largest Gourd Festivals in the WORLD is happening this very weekend in
Fallbrook, California (northern San Diego County). Welburn's 9th Annual
Gourd Festival is on, and generally attracts thousands of people, to
see the variety of artwork of others, and to buy a few gourds to try
out themselves. Welburn grows 80 acres of gourds, and nothing but
gourds.

The Festival: www.gourdfestival.com (for directions and more).

I welcome any and all questions...

Thank you!!

Vince Williams
Editor/Publisher
Through The Gourdvine Magazine
http://www.throughthegourdvine.com

Gourds and more gourds Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 26-09-2007 01:31 AM
did I mention? K Barrett Orchids 6 24-05-2007 03:47 PM
Did someone mention... Gourds? editor_gourdvine Gardening 0 26-06-2005 10:26 AM
[IBC] A little off topic, but I WILL mention bonsai ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-06-2003 01:56 AM
funny you should mention that... Ladybugs for Mealie control Prem Subrahmanyam Orchids 1 30-03-2003 04:56 AM