Old 29-06-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Chicago zone 5a exotic perenials? Maybe European berries

Folks,

We live in suburban Chicago USDA zone 5a and I'm
looking to add some sort of exotic perenial to the
back yard. Likely something not native to the US.
Look strange or have edible fruit if possible.
When we lived in Los Angeles zone 9 years ago
there were plenty of subtropicals to chose from
and I planted a Buddhas Hand Citron. Wonderful
aroma from the fruit and they looked strange as
well. Doesn't seem like there are a lot of
exotics available that do well in zone 5a so I
am appealing to the experts. I know that
midsummer is likely too late so I may as well
start planning for next spring.

I looked through the archives of the group. The
FAQ file is about herbs. Check. 3 boxes with
assorted herbs are growing in boxes on the railing.
The sorrel and that stuff that smells like celery
are doing great. Time for a bush or tree or
something now. Maybe a heritage variety through
a seed purhase.

Scanning through the newsgroup archive for
mention of zone 5 it sounds like berries may be
the way to go.

Do bilberries do okay in zone 5? I'd need to find
a source for plants. I have had bilberry jam and
the stuff is to die for, maybe the best berry jam
I've had. Bilberry jam is to be found in Polish
ethnic stores so zone 5ish seems like it might work.

Do lingonberries do okay in zone 5? I'd need a
source for plants. I like lingon berry jam so
this sounds like a good option as well.

Any suggestions for a tree rather than a bush?
The tree at the corner of the house is getting redy
to go so time to think about a replacement that
gives nuts or fruit.

I think my most adventurous might be a trellis and
some hops. Great excuse to get in good with some
local home brewers.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Doug Freyburger

Old 30-06-2005, 01:11 AM
simy1

what soil and light do you have? Bilberry and lingonberry want acid
soil. I suppose that if sorrel and rhubarb are thriving you may have
acid soil. We have Sherwin Dubren here who knows all about fruit
growing in the Chi area. You could try gooseberry too, and of course
raspberries are easy. Find them all at Edible Landscaping (they have
lingonberry too, though mine never thrived). One way or another, the
local birds will thank you.

Old 30-06-2005, 10:42 PM

simy1 wrote:

what soil

So I need to get it tested. Check. My current answer
"the soil is made out of dirt" clearly doesn't cut it.

and light do you have?

Half acre lot, 3 big maples in back 2 in front, plus
a couple of smaller trees growing near the house that
don't make much shade. I can plant in sun or partial
shade.

Bilberry and lingonberry want acid
soil. I suppose that if sorrel and rhubarb are thriving you may have
acid soil.

Aluminum sulfate in stock already. Thanks.

We have Sherwin Dubren here who knows all about fruit
growing in the Chi area. You could try gooseberry too, and of course
raspberries are easy. Find them all at Edible Landscaping (they have
lingonberry too, though mine never thrived). One way or another, the
local birds will thank you.

Thanks for the response!

Old 01-07-2005, 07:06 AM
sherwindu

simy1 wrote:

what soil and light do you have? Bilberry and lingonberry want acid
soil. I suppose that if sorrel and rhubarb are thriving you may have
acid soil. We have Sherwin Dubren here who knows all about fruit
growing in the Chi area.

Thanks for the reference, but I am more knowledgeable with fruit trees.
I do grow raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries, but don't get
much into their technicalities. I would suggest that he come to our
Harvest Festival at the Morton Arboretum on Oct 15-16 where my
fruit growers club Midfex (Midwest Fruit Explorers) will be putting on
demos and giving advise on all kinds of fruit and berry growing for this
region. He can get more details at www.Midfex.org.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:42 PM

sherwindu wrote:

Thanks for the reference, but I am more knowledgeable with fruit trees.
I do grow raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries, but don't get
much into their technicalities. I would suggest that he come to our
Harvest Festival at the Morton Arboretum on Oct 15-16 where my
fruit growers club Midfex (Midwest Fruit Explorers) will be putting on
demos and giving advise on all kinds of fruit and berry growing for this
region. He can get more details at www.Midfex.org.

It is now on my calendar. See you there! Thanks.

Exotic plants for exotic ponds [email protected] Ponds 2 12-03-2006 12:00 AM
exotic edible nursery (zone 7) Luna Edible Gardening 8 08-09-2005 10:34 PM
second year perenials dc Texas 1 05-03-2004 04:29 AM
Perenials John Gardening 1 28-09-2003 09:02 AM
red perenials? Faye Tarzwell Gardening 8 29-08-2003 06:02 PM