Old 01-07-2005, 06:24 AM
Anna

Default Care of cabbage plants

My 84 year old mother-in-law told my husband to break off the lower leaves on my cabbage plant. What is the purpose of this and is it common practice? I didn't do that last year and they grew just fine.
Help appreciated.
Thanks
Anna

Old 03-07-2005, 07:32 PM

That is new to me. Never knew anyone to break off bottom leaves on
cabbage plants. I don't know the purpose and it surely is not common.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Anna

I asked what the purpose was and she said it made them produce heads sooner.
I think I will leave them to grow at their own rate.

ups.com...

Old 05-07-2005, 12:57 AM
Steve

Anna wrote:
I asked what the purpose was and she said it made them produce heads sooner.
I think I will leave them to grow at their own rate.

In a situation like this, it's a good time to do an experiment. Pull the
lower leaves off of every other one and watch to see what happens. Then
you can report back to us.
My guess would be that they don't really form a head sooner or, if they
do, the heads would probably be smaller than the others. That's what
common sense would tell me but, once in a while common sense lets you
down. Find out.

Steve

Old 05-07-2005, 06:10 AM
Anna

Well I'm not quite that brave, I only planted six cabbage plants. So it is
one that is minus the lower leaves. They are all growing like crazy right
now and I don't seem to see any difference.
She (my mother-in-law) also told my husband to plant the beans 4 inches
deep. I didn't do that because we got such a late start getting them in the
ground. They also seem to be thriving.
Anna

Old 05-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Pan Ohco

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:57:36 -0400, Steve wrote:

Anna wrote:
I asked what the purpose was and she said it made them produce heads sooner.
I think I will leave them to grow at their own rate.

In a situation like this, it's a good time to do an experiment. Pull the
lower leaves off of every other one and watch to see what happens. Then
you can report back to us.
My guess would be that they don't really form a head sooner or, if they
do, the heads would probably be smaller than the others. That's what
common sense would tell me but, once in a while common sense lets you
down. Find out.

Steve

Wasn't there an old wives tale about taking a leaf and putting it on
top of the cabbage head, to stop cabbage moths from laying eggs within
the head. Perhaps that's what the OP's grandmother was talking about

Pan Ohco