GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Do these pole beans ever have beans? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/96919-do-these-pole-beans-ever-have-beans.html)

J Golden 05-07-2005 02:40 AM

Do these pole beans ever have beans?

Last year, I planted Italian Green beans and enjoyed them. This year I
planted the Kentucky King, a bush bean that looks like a string bean
and tastes like an Italian Green Bean. They were somewhat slow in
growing, so I also planted the Kentucky Wonder pole bean. The bush
bean gave me some beans this weekend, but the pole beans and growing
like Jack and the beanstalk but I have yet to see a bean on them. Do
these things ever have beans or are they going to be like my gorgeous
watermelon vines when I was 13 that had vines and vines and vines but
no watermelon?

Jose

Pat Kiewicz 05-07-2005 11:07 AM

J Golden said:

Last year, I planted Italian Green beans and enjoyed them. This year I
planted the Kentucky King, a bush bean that looks like a string bean
and tastes like an Italian Green Bean. They were somewhat slow in
growing, so I also planted the Kentucky Wonder pole bean. The bush
bean gave me some beans this weekend, but the pole beans and growing
like Jack and the beanstalk but I have yet to see a bean on them. Do
these things ever have beans or are they going to be like my gorgeous
watermelon vines when I was 13 that had vines and vines and vines but
no watermelon?

Pole beans are normally a bit later to start bearing than bush beans, but
they will bear more continuously.

Because I only eat the beans fresh and don't can or freeze them, I prefer
pole beans for the longer (and less rushed) harvest. Picking most of them
while standing up is also a big advantage.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Boron Elgar 05-07-2005 02:37 PM

Kiewicz) wrote:

J Golden said:

[...]

If you wish to harvest easily (at least for bush beans), do what I
do...grow in containers. I have a table on my deck filled with 6 to 10
inch pots, each with 5 to 9 bean plants in it. Well fed, well watered,
they are prolific producers and easily harvested. Bush beans seem
particularly suited to the culture.

I am growing Blue Lake, Romano, haricot vert and one other bush type I
cannot recall at the moment.

Boron

lgb 05-07-2005 07:46 PM

In article ,
says...
Thanks. I'll be looking forward to them.

If you're not satisfied with the yield, try Northeaster next year. I've
always had good luck with them (in Zone 5) and they can get quite long
without getting stringy.

--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever