Old 05-07-2005, 03:40 AM
J Golden

Default Do these pole beans ever have beans?

Last year, I planted Italian Green beans and enjoyed them. This year I
planted the Kentucky King, a bush bean that looks like a string bean
and tastes like an Italian Green Bean. They were somewhat slow in
growing, so I also planted the Kentucky Wonder pole bean. The bush
bean gave me some beans this weekend, but the pole beans and growing
like Jack and the beanstalk but I have yet to see a bean on them. Do
these things ever have beans or are they going to be like my gorgeous
watermelon vines when I was 13 that had vines and vines and vines but
no watermelon?

Jose
Old 05-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Pat Kiewicz

J Golden said:

Last year, I planted Italian Green beans and enjoyed them. This year I
planted the Kentucky King, a bush bean that looks like a string bean
and tastes like an Italian Green Bean. They were somewhat slow in
growing, so I also planted the Kentucky Wonder pole bean. The bush
bean gave me some beans this weekend, but the pole beans and growing
like Jack and the beanstalk but I have yet to see a bean on them. Do
these things ever have beans or are they going to be like my gorgeous
watermelon vines when I was 13 that had vines and vines and vines but
no watermelon?

Pole beans are normally a bit later to start bearing than bush beans, but
they will bear more continuously.

Because I only eat the beans fresh and don't can or freeze them, I prefer
pole beans for the longer (and less rushed) harvest. Picking most of them
while standing up is also a big advantage.

(attributed to Don Marti)