GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chipmunks and screening (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/97060-chipmunks-screening.html)

[email protected] 07-07-2005 08:43 PM

Chipmunks and screening

I put up 36 inch fencing with 1 inch holes, hoping to keep out rabbits
and chipmunks. The rabbits can't get in and maybe not the squirrels
but the chipmunks elongate their bodies and go right through.

If I put up screening, will they dig under it?

I read a few threads above that talked about shooting the things but
I'd rather not have any kind of gun or rifle. I think the chipmunks
travel in twos. What are my alternatives? If I spray Sevin, will that
keep them away. I tried crushed red pepper flakes but they jump right
over them now.

Alan

Dave 08-07-2005 04:45 AM

They could burrow under or climb over. I started trapping them in a
live trap (metal screen box trap) and carrying them a few blocks away
to a wooded area. I caught eight of them in about two weeks without
moving the trap. The trap doesn't need to be baited -- I suppose they
follow each others scent trails to the trap.

Al Reid 08-07-2005 01:09 PM

wrote:
I put up 36 inch fencing with 1 inch holes, hoping to keep out rabbits
and chipmunks. The rabbits can't get in and maybe not the squirrels
but the chipmunks elongate their bodies and go right through.

If I put up screening, will they dig under it?

I read a few threads above that talked about shooting the things but
I'd rather not have any kind of gun or rifle. I think the chipmunks
travel in twos. What are my alternatives? If I spray Sevin, will that
keep them away. I tried crushed red pepper flakes but they jump right
over them now.

Alan

Are you sure you didn't trap the same one eight times?g

simy1 08-07-2005 03:17 PM

you are better off figuring out why they come in. This year I was smart
enough to put out a water dish one month before the raspberries were
ready. As a result, I have lost very few. In past years, I would come
home from work to find a dozen birds and four squirrels in the patch.
Chipmunks will not eat veggies if water and seeds are available. This
said, predator urine works for me and keeps the garden rodent-free. The
birds will pull a seedling, but I can see white moths hovering over the
brassicas all the time, and not one caterpillar, so they are welcome.

Dave 09-07-2005 08:15 PM

Al Reid wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Actually I caught eight chipmunks and then I caught a mink, which I
released. The trap was never baited. Since then I have not caught
anything. Either the mink has been keeping the chipmunk population down
or the smell of the mink has been repelling the chipmunks.