Old 09-07-2005, 11:18 PM
GA Pinhead

Default Ripe Tomatoes by July 4th, Almost...

Missed my goal by a couple of days this year, but still the week of July
4th. Sausalito won the race this year. I did pick a couple of big
green ones for my wife to fry up for herself. Not the biggest of course!

Lots of green ones and blooms so this year looks good, not like last year.

John! in NE GA US
Old 10-07-2005, 02:21 AM
Andy Petro

You should always state what part of the world or state you are in. For
instance i live in Canada and no way can we have red tomatoes that early.
-----================================================== ===========================

Old 10-07-2005, 03:05 AM
GK

I'm in the Chicagoland area, and I don't even have buds yet. I planted
shortly after March 15.

We've had almost zero rain. I've watered every day for roughly 1/2 hour
with a "seeping" hose.

GK

Old 10-07-2005, 03:15 AM
Keith Warren

Uhhhh, Andy.........John said Northeast Georgia USA, or do you want
something a little more specific :-)

For the record, I just picked my first one today, Early Girl.

Keith in Extreme NE Georgia. To be exact Blairsville, GA USA. For
perspective we are 19 miles from North Carolina, 23 miles from Tennessee and
36 miles from South Carolina.

. ..
-----================================================== ===================

========

Old 10-07-2005, 03:30 AM
Steve Calvin

"GA Pinhead" wrote in message
. ..

Missed my goal by a couple of days this year, but still the week of July
4th. Sausalito won the race this year. I did pick a couple of big

green

ones for my wife to fry up for herself. Not the biggest of course!

Lots of green ones and blooms so this year looks good, not like last

year.

John! in NE GA US

Poughkeepsie NY here (about 1/2 way between NYC and Albany). I've got
tons of green ones but no color yet.

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?

Old 10-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Sallyrat&Sweetie

Yes way, we can.

I live in Toronto and I had my first ripe tomato on July 7( two days ago).
I started them from seed too.(in mid March , I believe. Normal time). And
this one isn't even advertised as being an early tomato( Bloody Butcher,
heritage variety). There is another one ready to be picked tomorrow. I
have also started picking the currant tomatoes( 2 so far). The weather has
been disgustingly hot but the tomatoes are loving it.

Sally

. ..

Old 10-07-2005, 08:08 AM
mondo colnago

Hey Sally,

You're lucky then. I'm in Calgary and just got one tomato starting
this week. I also started from seed in March. We had so much rain
here my plants which are usually a few feet high by now are barely a
foot and a half. I have a little green house which is the only reason
I have the tomato I do. The weather here has not been conducive to
growing anything but weeds and asperagus (which I've been eating for
awhile) So are your tomato plants inside/outside, using anything
special on them, anything you can help us less fortunate growers that
are going to have to wait until Sept to enjoy our first ripe one?

Old 10-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Pat Kiewicz

GA Pinhead said:

Missed my goal by a couple of days this year, but still the week of July
4th. Sausalito won the race this year. I did pick a couple of big
green ones for my wife to fry up for herself. Not the biggest of course!

Lots of green ones and blooms so this year looks good, not like last year.

John! in NE GA US

I will be picking my first tomato (SunSugar) maybe today, and there is color
showing on the '4th of July' plant. Planted out last week of May, started
indoors second week of April. Held indoors far longer than I would have
liked due to miserable May weather, so they got a bit spindly but they
are extremely robust now, with lots of green tomatoes.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 10-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Pinhead
Missed my goal by a couple of days this year, but still the week of July
4th. Sausalito won the race this year. I did pick a couple of big
green ones for my wife to fry up for herself. Not the biggest of course!

Lots of green ones and blooms so this year looks good, not like last year.

John! in NE GA US
I'm in North East Arkansas and I am geting little Jelly Bean tomatoes that are ripe. THe big ones aren't yet but there are lots of green ones. I have neighbors that have tons of ripe big tomatoes. But I know mine are coming.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:56 PM
GA Pinhead

in NE GA US

Northeast Georgia United States.

I thought I did, sorry if I was not clear enough...

John!

Old 10-07-2005, 02:07 PM
GA Pinhead

Hey Neighbor! You must be on the south side of the mountain. I used to
go up to the Experiment St all the time doing their computer work.
Beautiful area to be sure.

John!

Keith Warren wrote:
Uhhhh, Andy.........John said Northeast Georgia USA, or do you want
something a little more specific :-)

For the record, I just picked my first one today, Early Girl.

Keith in Extreme NE Georgia. To be exact Blairsville, GA USA. For
perspective we are 19 miles from North Carolina, 23 miles from Tennessee and
36 miles from South Carolina.

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
. ..

You should always state what part of the world or state you are in. For
instance i live in Canada and no way can we have red tomatoes that early.
-----================================================== ===================

========

. ..

Old 10-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Sue

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:18:43 -0400, GA Pinhead
wrote:

Missed my goal by a couple of days this year, but still the week of July
4th. Sausalito won the race this year. I did pick a couple of big
green ones for my wife to fry up for herself. Not the biggest of course!

Lots of green ones and blooms so this year looks good, not like last year.

John! in NE GA US

San Joaquin Valley, CA. Planted (not from seed) in early April. I've
been eating Sweet 100s ("cherry" tomatoes) for a couple weeks. Ate
two regular sized ones (Better Boy?) last night.
Sue

Old 10-07-2005, 03:50 PM

GK wrote:
I'm in the Chicagoland area, and I don't even have buds yet. I planted
shortly after March 15.

We've had almost zero rain. I've watered every day for roughly 1/2 hour
with a "seeping" hose.

GK

No buds yet? What varities? It sounds like you are watering way to
much. I water once a week and make sure the plants get at least 1 inch
of water/week. I also mulched heavily. They are well established, so
I skipped this weekend watering, they should be fine. And you aren't
fertilizing, correct? Low feeders so too much and you get all green,
no tomatoes.

I'm in a SW Chicago Burb (actually have Chicago bordering to the East,
North and South) and so far have picked one Azoychka (smallish yellow
beefsteak tomatoes) with two more ripening and have three early girls a
dark orange. Two Early Goliath plants I gave away have resulted in
one ripe tomato and one dark orange. The Early Golitah I have isn't
showing signs yet. The Delicious (late beefteak) is doing OK, a few
other plants I gave away have have anywhere from a few little ones
finally starting to show to about 10 or so mid size tomatoes. Burgess
Stuffing (first time trying) has a bunch, nothing close to ripening
(unless they are small stuffing tomatoes?).

BTW the last 4 - 5 years I've been starting the tomatoes outside in a
cheap-o cold frame. The nice thing is, no hardening off come planting
time, just dig up and transplant :0)

Oh yeah - despite having a very cool spring (summer more than making up
for it) I put a teeny Delicious plant outside & unprotected on March
18th to see how cold it could get before frost wiped it out. The darn
thing surivived!

Happy 4th of July San Diego Joe Ponds (moderated) 3 05-07-2007 06:17 PM
Happy July 4th weekend! San Diego Joe Ponds 12 04-07-2005 05:20 AM
how do they make tomatoes red when they are not ripe Doctoroe Edible Gardening 10 13-11-2003 05:02 AM
4th of July Theo question Cass Roses 0 14-03-2003 03:44 PM
4th of July Venu Shelat Roses 3 14-03-2003 01:32 PM